Sunday, July 2, 2017

Makin' pages: My job at the newspaper

I've been a copy editor with the Charleston Gazette-Mail since March 2, 2017. Before that, I spent 15 months as a reporter with the Page News and Courier, in Luray, VA. My job duties at the two are very different.

Luray: Cover local government for three towns, write news articles on whatever pops up, work on occasional feature articles, take pictures.

Charleston: Read over articles, look for grammatical errors, design pages, put articles on the website.

I had experience doing page design in high school and college; eight school years of using the programs and doing stuff. So, I knew what I was doing when I got here, I just needed to familiarize myself with the Charleston way of doing things.

I would say after about three months, I started feeling like more a part of the crew, as opposed to a new guy working here fumbling around.

Below, is a sampling of what I've done during my time in Charleston.

Above is the first page I designed for the newspaper, on my first day. They had me play around in the design program for a while, and after seeing that I had an idea of what I was doing, they let me do this.


I will admit to getting slightly political with this Donald Trump article. I thought it would be hilarious to put a picture of Trump giving a thumbs up to an article talking about how wrong he was.

After a while I got to design the "Valley & State" section, which is essentially like a secondary front page inside the newspaper. There's a little more freedom for creativity and experimentation.

 
I enjoy throwing in a good pun wherever I can.





That last picture is two of my columns for the opinion section in the computer system, waiting to be printed. More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment