Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Chris Slater interviews United States Senator Tim Kaine



Back in April, I had a pretty cool opportunity in front of me when I got to travel to Shenandoah National Park to attend a luncheon with United States Senator Tim Kaine as the guest speaker. The reason for the event was to celebrate 100 years of the National Park Service.

It was a fun event. I talked to his assistant lady; not sure what her actual job was. But she was the one telling him when and where to go. She was really cool. I'm assuming more of an assistant as opposed to somebody with some actual power because of how young she was.

I got a couple minutes with him outside after the event and talked to him about why the national parks are important. Yeah, I know, not the most riveting of conversations, but you've gotta take what you can get.

The ride back from the event was really nice. I took the long route (unintentionally) and spent the time reflecting on how far my life had come in such a short time. I thought about what I did - interview a US Senator for a newspaper article and what I had been doing before that, which was basically the opposite of that.

I didn't know much about Tim Kaine at the time. My editor was describing who he was and what he had done in Virginia before that, and then added "And, it's possible he might be our next Vice President."

I hadn't heard any rumors about who was the VP nominee of who at that point, and it still wasn't even 100 percent sure that Clinton was going to be the nominee... even though the mainstream media's effort to help her secure the nomination was in full swing. So, I wasn't too surprised a few months later when I heard his name announced.

I think it's kind of cool that I got to chat with him, no matter how inane the topic was, for a few minutes back before he became really popular and huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment