Saturday, March 12, 2016

Fourrrrr Months



I've lived in Luray, Virginia now for four months. It's so weird to think to myself sometimes "This is my life." I live in this little area and write for this newspaper about issues surrounding this area. I'm finally starting to understand those issues. Before, I would attend a meeting and come back saying "This, this, and this are important." I would be told no, then later asked "Why didn't you mention this?" Because I didn't know. But I feel like I've finally got a sense of Luray and Page County.

Locally, I'm understanding things. I'm still having trouble on a state-wide level. I covered a local Republican event for the paper and it had all of these state politicians. As I talked to each of them to get a quote, I had to ask who they were. Two of them flat-out asked if I was new to the area.

As is customary to pretty much everybody I meet, they ask where I'm from. I give my standard answer "Princeton, West Virginia. It's about 3 1/2 hours away." Both of the politicians literally said the exact same thing to me, only worded slightly differently: "That's a great area. Shame what they're doing to your coal mines."

One politician actually knew the area. He asked if I went to Concord. Then he asked about a bar in Princeton and if it wasn't still open. I told him it wasn't. He said he wasn't surprised and mentioned that one of his friends got stabbed there. I told him that I wasn't surprised.

* * *

I don't know if I miss Princeton. I miss some of the people. I miss knowing about stuff. I've been following WV House and Senate stuff lately, like a nerd. The "brunch bill" and this raw milk foolishness interests me more than anything I've seen in Virginia politics.

I am a little weirded out by Virginia's love of the Civil War and its history. Mostly because Virginia was on... ya know... uhhhh... the wrong side of the Civil War. I've seen a few Robert E. Lee statues. And a lot of confederate flags. But, I'm used to that from living in Princeton.

All of this political news and whatnot reminds me of a project I was working on before I got hired at the Page News and Courier. I'll tell the story about that in an upcoming post. Had I been in WV and had the proper help around me, I think it could have been really  cool. And, it's not really all that timely, so maybe one day down the road.

* * *

That's all for now. I'll check back in with more from Luray. Or, as the locals call it, Loo-Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment