Sunday, November 1, 2015

New job update: trying to move



I was talking to a guy recently about fighting. He said that if he got into a fight with me that he wouldn't punch me in the face, he would mentally mess with me. He said he would stomp on my hands so I couldn't type.

Speaking of typing, I start my new job next week. I'm a reporter for the Page News and Courier in Luray, Virginia. It's four hours away from Princeton. So, I have to move. That's been an issue. I dealt with a very unprofessional landlord in Luray.

I was told that this was the guy to deal with; that he would help me out. I called him and he was very terse on the phone and ended the conversation quickly. I didn't think much of it; he could have been busy when I called. He said he would email me an application. 

The next day I still didn't have the application so I called and left a message. Nothing. Next day, I send an email. He replies the next day and sends it to me. It was a Microsoft Word document with questions typed out and you fill in your responses. He accidentally sent me somebody's filled-out form. So I have this lady's social security number and all of her shit at my disposal. I erase her answers and put my own and send it back. 

Three days later I still haven't gotten a response, so I email him and basically say "Sorry to bug you, but I'm sort of on a deadline with needing to find a place quickly. Can we get this process started." He waited a day to reply with, and I'm paraphrasing, "Sorry, bro. They decided not to move. You can't have this place."

He had one other place that he said was going to be vacant at the beginning of November. So I replied and asked about that one. And it's been over a week and he hasn't replied. I guess I'm done with that guy. 

I feel bad because my new boss was like "This is the guy I recommend." And now I have to break the news that he was a very unprofessional douche to me.

So, yeah, I have to live in this town next week and I still don't have a place to live.

* * *

My announcement on Facebook got 150 "likes." That's about as many as a whore who posts a new profile picture. People seem to be happy for me. That always makes me feel good.

I watched "Clerks" recently for the first time. It's Kevin Smith's first film and tells the story of two guys who drudge through their lives of working at a gas station and video store and being losers in their early 20's not doing more with their life.

I didn't like the move, per se. Most of the dialogue felt forced. But I felt that connection with what Kevin Smith was trying to represent: the drudgery of having a meaningless existence and feeling like you're not accomplishing anything.

During my interview for the job in Luray, I told a story about one of the best and worst days that I ever had. It was the same day and it really illustrated my life and how I felt about it.

I was freelancing for the Princeton Times and covered the 2011 edition of the March of Dimes. It's an event where people raise money for research for premature babies. I show up and explain who I am, and everybody is so excited to see me. I'm treated with such respect and people are nice to me.

I interviewed a woman holding her premature newborn in her arms. She had twins and one died. And the other one barely survived; the one I was looking at. And she talked about how important this was to her and how she didn't want anybody to go through what she had to experience.

I did that and felt amazing, like I was actually helping contribute something positive to the world. Then I went to the job that actually paid the bills, manager at Pizza Hut, and had a pizza thrown at me by an angry customer.

Such a high and such a low all in the same day. It really made me think long and hard about my life.

* * *

I guess that's all for now. I'll update everybody on the apartment search and what happens with this new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment