Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Strawberry



In 2003, my grandpa was in town visiting. It was around christmas-time and we were wandering around Walmart. He just randomly asked if I wanted a CD. I guess he was thinking "The boy probably wants something. He listens to music." So I picked out the Everclear greatest hits album.

The liner notes contain the story behind every song. For this one, the lead singer wrote that he had been sober for several years, then had a dream that he began using drugs again. He woke up and wrote "Strawberry."

Very poignant words. "Don't fall down now, you will never get up." Not just for drug addiction, those words are very important for anybody going through anything. Depression, anxiety, relationship issues, job woes, you've just gotta keep going and don't let the darkness surrounding you to swallow you.

I've been guilty of falling down several times in regard to whatever my vice or problem is at the time. I just haven't always been able or willing to pick myself up. And it's taken a lot of time and mistakes to realize that if I do fall down now, I will likely never get up. So, that's what I'm doing now. I'm getting up.

1 comment:

  1. baby steps. it's all about moving forward.

    ReplyDelete