Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Unfinished Works: Beatles on iTunes



I wrote this in the fall of 2010, after it was announced that The Beatles would finally have their entire discography released on iTunes. At that point, they were one of the few bands who had not yet allowed their music to be released electronically.

It was seen as a big deal because... duh, they're The Beatles. They're the biggest band in the history of bands and their music was finally available on iTunes.

I wrote this during a break in my English 203 class. And by break, I mean while the professor talked and I didn't listen. For those who have listened to my podcasts, this certain English professor was noted as being the worst professor I ever had at Concord University.

Here's what I wrote:

Blog Beatles on iTunes

Intro
- When I first knew of The Beatles
     * Anthology of mid 90s
- When I first got into The Beatles
     * re-issue of Let It Be; 12th grade
- Simpsons "Be-Sharps" episode

Thoughts on Beatles now
- Influence
- My favorite albums/songs

What iTunes deal means
- not much for long-time fans
     * just released all albums last year
- for younger fans
     * first look @ band they otherwise wouldn't
     * helps Beatles remain relevant
     * opens door for other classic bands
        - "If they're good, what about ____"

And, I'm not sure why I never got around to writing it. I would assume it was my mortal enemy - laziness. That guy always seems to stop me from doing fun things.

But, basically, what I wanted to do was give a brief history of me knowing the Beatles, as well as talk about the "Be-Sharps" episode of The Simpsons, in which Homer starts a barbershop quartet. Their rise & subsequent fall mirrors that of The Beatles. It was a funny episode when I was 7 or 8, then when I learned more it became a hilarious homage to the group.

What the iTunes deal meant for older fans, I assumed wouldn't be a whole lot. At the time of the announcement, I already had all of their albums and had listened to them (statement of hyperbole) millions of times. The most hardcore fans weren't going to jump up and go "I can buy all of the Beatles albums again!"

I figured this would be something better for kids, people who wouldn't listen to the Beatles without some prodding from other people. There were likely banner ads all over iTunes when the music first went live. A kid could have seen that, listened to a 30 second sample of "Yellow Submarine" or "Helter Skelter" and *BOOM* they're a Beatles fan.

That's all I've got here. I'll be back with some more unfinished works later.

Additional Reading: Top 25 Beatles songs

No comments:

Post a Comment