Saturday, December 7, 2013

Chris Slater's first book has been published

Chris Slater has released his first e-book, “B-Sides: rarities and unreleased works, vol. 01” as an Amazon exclusive for the Kindle. 

“Without really knowing it, this book has been in the works for over 5 years,” Slater said. 

Slater realized his computer was going to die soon over the summer. A 2007 Christmas gift from his grandpa, the laptop had outperformed most expectations. Knowing that it would not last long caused Slater to take inventory of what was inside, what files and pictures he wanted to save. 

“It was a nice trip down memory lane,” Slater said. “There were pictures, videos, and writing dating back to 2007. It was pure nostalgia and it made me happy to relive it.” 

Slater’s passion is writing. 

“When I was 15-years-old, sitting in Mrs. Slavey’s journalism class at Princeton High, I realized what I wanted to do with the rest of my life,” Slater said. 

Through his years at Concord University and as a freelancer for various West Virginia newspapers, Slater has pursued that journalism career. As a writer, one of Slater’s biggest problems would be the occasional writer’s block. He said inspiration would always have to hit him for the entire duration of writing. One of his biggest problems was starting something and not being able to finish it. 

“If I couldn’t write something something and go all the way with it, I usually wasn’t able to come back to it,” Slater said. “For the most part, it has to be one-and-done with me when it comes to writing.” 

Another issue that would compromise Slater’s writing was how his mood affected him. 

“I would get the inspiration to write something and that inspiration could be any number of emotions - anger, happiness, wanting to make people laugh,” Slater said. “And then I would finish writing something and either my mood would have changed - the anger subsided - or it didn’t accomplish what I wanted to do, maybe it wasn’t as funny as I originally thought.” 

Those two issues would cause Slater to either stop writing something or finish it and not submit it anywhere, either his college newspaper or his personal blog. The semi-completed or completed works sat there on his computer. 

“When I was looking through all of the stuff on that old computer, I realized I had all of this content,” Slater said. “And what I realized with time away from it was that a lot of it was pretty good.” 

Writing a book had been something in the back of Slater’s mind for a while. He had started one, but was having trouble doing the necessary research and conducting interviews. 

“Maybe it’s my laziness kicking in,” Slater said. “But I looked at my one book that was going nowhere and I looked at all of this content and realized if I turned this into a book that it was mostly done already.” 

He looked at the collection of work the way a musician looks at his unreleased songs. 

“I had a little bit of a reputation among people who knew me from college,” Slater said. “I figured there would be a decent amount of intrigue in saying, ‘Here’s Chris Slater’s unreleased writings.’” 

The compilation book “B-Sides: rarities and unreleased works, vol. 01” is available as a Kindle exclusive in the Amazon store. Go to Amazon.com and type “Chris Slater B-Sides” in the search bar. To purchase the book, one needs either a physical Kindle e-reader, or a Kindle app can be downloaded for free on an iPhone, Android phone, or computer.

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE "B-SIDES: RARITIES AND UNRELEASED WORKS, VOL. 01"

2 comments:

  1. You wrote a press release for yourself in third person?

    LAAMMMEEEE. Haha, jk. I love you and this is cute. I am so proud of you. And I liked that you made the book volume 1. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't write a press release in the first person, silly.

      Delete