Wednesday, September 11, 2013

SGA Meeting Notes [09-11-13]

I know there was at least one other SGA meeting on Sept. 11 since I've been attending Concord. I don't remember which year, but I remember somebody saying something about it during the meeting. Click here to see read a blog I wrote a couple years ago about where I was on Sept. 11, 2001.

I didn't catch much of Matt Belcher's and Grace Hurney's administrations, so unless they ever missed a meeting, the Sept. 11 meeting was the first in nearly a decade that the SGA President was not present and the Vice President chaired the meeting. There have been a couple instances where the President was in a meeting and the VP chaired for the first 15 minutes or so and also times where the President would defer to the VP so that they could make a point in debate. But this is the first time I can recall where the President was absent. VP Greg Stamp noted that President Chelsey Rowe had a death she was dealing with.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that. While we're on that point, something that I bring up in every blog is a general statement of some sort saying that if I get anything wrong to let me know.

I spoke with Sam Dobson after the meeting. He brought up that I misquoted him a couple weeks ago. In the 08-28-13 blog I mentioned that I overheard Sam saying that he was going to become the Secretary, implying that the job was his before going through any interview process. I thought that was interesting so I put it in the blog. Had he become the Secretary, we then could have had some sort of proof or reason to suspect some shady dealings in the SGA.

Sam told me that he didn't say that and that he wanted me to make sure people knew that. It's entirely possible that he didn't make that statement and I misheard him. Who knows. I'll pay more attention to things in the future.

If anybody ever has any issues, let me know. I've had people in the past tell me that I've intimidated them upon first impression; I'm harmless, just say hi to me. I'm a little quiet until I get to know you, but I'm not aloof by any means.

# # #

Anyway, onto the meeting.


One of Greg Stamp's first acts as acting SGA President was to swear in some fellow Executive Board members. Joey Sharpe was sworn in as Parliamentarian, Melinda Hatfield as Secretary, and Zack Whitfield as Ombudsman.

Greg later needed to step down and gave the floor to the new Parliamentarian, Joey Sharpe. There's Melinda Hatfield and her enormous computer off to the side.

Board of Governors representative Cody Boone gave a report of Tuesday's BOG meeting. Some HEPC stuff was passed so that students can now get degrees in Beckley. He didn't say when that would start. That's a good story for The Concordian to expand on.

He said the BOG also approved the guidelines for the Presidential Search committee to use to decide who will be the next CU President. He said that Luke Stevens was the student representative on the committee. I'm not sure who that is. That's something else that The Concordian should be looking into.

Business Manager Genevieve Hatcher discussed with those in attendance that since the overall budget for this academic year was less than in the past that there might not be as much to go around for every organization. If anybody has any questions, her office hours are Monday and Thursday both from 5-6 p.m. in the SGA Office (3rd floor of the Student Center).

Greg Stamp announced three members of the Homecoming Election committee - Joey Sharp, Carl Mullins, and George Meyers. The HEC makes sure that groups participating in Homecoming activities follow the rules. The next two members needed to be voted on by organizational representatives and senators. It was a secret ballot. When giving instructions, Greg said "On your slip, write down the name of your organization. Actually, scratch that; it defeats the purpose of the secret ballot." After counting the votes, Sam Dobson and somebody whose name I didn't catch made it onto the committee. [That last sentence is hard-hitting journalism at its best]

Some Senators were then approved. George Meyers was named the commuter senator. Ronnie Wood, Annie Johnson, Jesse Jeffries, Saul Harlow, and Adam Jael-Ee-Oh(?) were made regular senators. If I got any of those names wrong (and I obviously got one wrong), somebody help me out.

George Myers and Annie Johnson were then announced as being part of the Judiciary committee.

Zack Whitfield and James Blankenship were appointed to the Concord University Student Affairs committee (abbreviated CUSAC, pronounced Q-Sack).

A motion passed that would send Richard Babich and Monica Rahall for an interview before the Judiciary committee, which is the first step toward becoming a Justice.

Members of various committees were announced. If you're not one of the people involved, it's not really important to know who is where. One thing that did catch my attention was that members of the Budgetary committee were appointed. In the past all members were voted on by the SGA members in attendance. Did that change or maybe they voted last week when I wasn't there?

Library employee Connie Schumate gave an update on money that last year's SGA gave the library. She noted that they had not spent any yet, but had earmarked some to be spent. If you want to know more about that, hopefully somebody from The Concordian reads this and decides that's an interesting article to write.

That's it from the meeting. A couple random notes:

There's a student group called, I guess, COY. I guess it's an acronym. When I heard their name, I thought to myself, "C-O-Y? or like the fish?" Then the "coy koi" line from "Where Is My Mind" got stuck in my head for a minute.

I counted 6 people in the room with either lip or septum piercings (and a couple had both, I believe). Seven if you count me. You usually don't see that many facial piercings in one room like that. Side note: girls with lip rings are hot. Guys, not so much (sorry Greg Slone). 

Here's my disclaimer: I import these blogs into Facebook. 

That gives me the option to "tag" people, sending them an e-mail notification. I tag people for two reasons - 1) if I mention you by name & 2) if I think you will find this interesting. If you are tagged and don't want to be, let me know. If I don't tag you & you'd like to be tagged in the future, let me know. 

There is a comment feature on this blog & I don't mind if you use it. It's cool to disagree, as long as it's kept civil. Anonymous comments are allowed, as long as it's relevant & mildly profanity free.

14 comments:

  1. His last name is Gellios :)
    Also, hope the enormous computer wasn't a distraction...it's a lot easier to type minutes than to write them by hand. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the last name. I quickly wrote it down how it sounded to me lol.

    There was one SGA secretary waaaaaay back in the day who used to write the minutes out by hand. The rest made the switch to a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "student group" of COY is actually the local fraternity Chi Omega Psi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. I know who they are now. I remember when they formed. They were the only frat with a floor in Wooddell instead of South Tower.

      Delete
  4. I may be gone but there are a few things I can still clarify:
    From what I heard last semester, Luke Stevens is an RA and there are members of the exec that disagree with the fact that he is on the search committee (name yourself if you wish). The student representative should be either the BOG rep or the SGA President, which I agree with. I'd even settle for an active member in SGA. The connotation that comes with RA's being on the committee is probably similar to the reason many people disliked when RAs ran for SGA president. Their allegedly on the side of housing/the university rather than the side of the students.

    I don't know Luke so I can't speak to his ability to serve this committee. I did add him on Facebook when I found out last spring in case he posted anything related to the subject. If he has I haven't noticed.

    Also...COY is not new (though you didn't say they were, just mentioned them...so I guess I didn't need to clarify that for you), they are a local fraternity that has been around 6-ish years. Chi Omega Psi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Cody announced Luke as being the student representative it caught me off guard. The last time Concord had a Presidential Search the student representative to the Board of Governors (Travis Reynolds) was also the student representative on the search committee.

      The idea being that the BOG representative (or the SGA President) is supposed to be the person in the SGA who deals with the most "stuff" for lack of a better term and knows the most "stuff" and would then be able to make the most informed decision.

      The committee picks who they want to be President. They give that selection to the BOG. The BOG has the ultimate vote. They can choose the committee's person or they can choose somebody else.

      The way it's set up now, Luke Stevens sits on the meetings and tells Cody Boone what he thinks. It would be better for Cody Boone to sit on the meeting and not receive second-hand information to make his decision.

      And, it's entirely possible that Cody wanted to be on the committee and wasn't allowed for whatever reason. They are forced to sign nondisclosure contracts and can't give much information on what's going on. So, we may likely not know the full story on why Luke Stevens is in and Cody Boone is out.

      [Somebody at The Concordian should look into this]

      Delete
    2. [correction] Travis Prince, not "Travis Reynolds."

      Delete
    3. I agree that the Concordian should look into it, particularly because this is something that was decided last spring. I knew who was in the search committee when I was still working in the student center, and my information came from a student.

      To be honest I can't imagine the process for a search committee has changed much; former president Aloia was at Concord for a shorter period of time than I was. Perhaps they think if a member of the BOG is on the committee it's it would cause conflict because they are voting? Which is silly, but the next logical choice would be an active and very involved SGA member, ie. the president or another member of the executive board.

      Delete
  5. Lol thanks for tossing in the creepiest picture that I have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do. I scour the archives for the weirdest one I can find.

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to let you know, I had to step in and chair two full meetings last year as Vice President for Josh. One time, I was aware before hand, and another time, he left at the beginning of the meeting to play dodgeball for greek week, so it was completely off guard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In your 10 years at Conord, have you ever done anything in the SGA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been officially a member of the SGA. I've raised awareness of the SGA through The Concordian and my blog.

      And I'd say I've really only been a student of Concord for 6 years, just spaced out over 9 years.

      Delete