Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Restaurant Review: Wing*Span

Long-awaited by some, eagerly anticipated by others, not even a blip on the radar of others... Concord University's new restaurant Wing*Span is now open on campus. I guess the name is spelled with the asterisk in it. It's on the sign. Anyway...

Wing*Span has taken the place of two of Concord's three restaurants - South of Sicily and Grille Works, leaving Subway as the only other option. But, some of the more popular items from those two have been incorporated into the Wing*Span menu. That's what I kept hearing last semester; as of right now, I don't know what those options are aside from the curly fries. I overheard two separate conversations about people complaining about pasta dishes no longer being available. In one conversation, a girl countered with "There was a survey to see what people wanted."

Hopefully The Concordian will get on that. Sara Cameron was looking for ideas for the Student Life section earlier; feature about what Grille Works and South of Sicily items made it to Wing*Span.


From an aesthetic standpoint, Wing*Span looks nice. There's the area you order at, which used to be Grille Works. Then the South of Sicily area is a bar-style setup with a big TV you can watch. It looks like it's on sports for the most part. I assume they would change it if you ask them. 


I'm not really a big fan of chicken wings, but I'm guessing others are. I saw a lot of people order wings around me. There look to be several different flavors you can get your wings coated in. Hopefully The Concordian will have more information about that as well.


I ordered a bacon cheeseburger. I'm guessing it's the same as the old Grille Works burger. It was pretty good. I'm not one of those foodie types that can talk about how much they savored it and describe it as being so palatable or whatever. If you like hamburgers, you'll like this one. One new item that Grille Works didn't have was a Patty Melt. That looked pretty good. I'll probably get that one next time.


One of the biggest things people kept hyping last semester when talking about Wing*Span was the root beer. You can get root beer on tap, with the far-off idea being to eventually go through the required bureaucracy to sell alcohol on campus.

I forgot about the root beer until I was walking to my booth - newly remodeled booth, I might add - and happened to pass them. Perhaps a sign saying "Try the root beer" or having the person taking your order mention it might help. It was brought up as being one of the coolest features about the restaurant and you can't even tell it's there.

Overall, it looks like a good area. It's not really that exciting, but if you like chicken wings I'd give it a shot. Also, if you're tired of the cafeteria and Subway then Wing*Span is your only option. 

10 comments:

  1. No more wraps? That was Concord's best feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the wraps are gone too. Now what's the best feature? Still trying to figure that one out...

      Delete
  2. No alcohol? How are you gonna serve chicken wings without beer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If certain contingencies have their way, we'll eventually have alcohol at Wing*Span. I can see the pros and cons of it, but I don't think I'm in favor of alcohol on campus.

      Delete
  3. Chris, while I haven't checked it out myself to be sure...I am told that you can still get South of Sicily style Wraps and Salads. They're just not made right there in front of you, with quite as many seasoning options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. Like I mentioned in the blog itself, hopefully The Concordian or somebody who wants to put more work into this than me will get the full story on the menu options.

      Delete
  4. South of Cicily always made my stomach upset. I NEVER tried Grille Works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grille Works was never my favorite option. I usually only eat there around the beginning and end of the semester. Beginning because I've never seen a Grille Works outside of Concord and it's new again, and at the end because I'm tired of Subway & it's new again.

      Delete