Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Paying my dues

I don't even know where to start. It seems like there's this unwritten rule that I'm not allowed to have nice things. Where's the best place to start? The beginning:

I got fired from my job at Outback. It took a couple weeks but I started working at RadioShack. It's a nice job. I stand around and pretend like I know a lot about electronics. I went about a month without an income, so things were starting to get stretched tight. I'm relatively smart with money. I knew I would just need a solid month of working and I'd get things back on track.

That first month wasn't as solid, so I figured two semi-solid months would get me back on track. Then, the hours started getting cut back. Out of a possible 40-hour work week, I received 10 hours. I didn't cause a scene about it. I know sometimes these things happen. I decided to give it some time. The next week, I received 10 hours again. Not a fan, but I figured we'd see where things go. Week after that, 6 hours. What can you even do with a paycheck like that?

So, I started looking for a new job. I talked to some friends of mine. A guy I know told me to come to Hardees and work with him there. I went in and had a humiliating interview where I was told about all the things I'd have to change about myself just so I could make hamburgers. Then I talked to another friend who told me something that I considered but didn't want to acknowledge- "Come back to Pizza Hut."

And, so I did. I like it in the sense that I already know how to do everything. But, I hate it in the sense that I hate it.

I've only worked one day there so far. I probably wouldn't have hated it so much if I hadn't had to walk a mile-plus there. My car broke down. I drove it to Beckley the other day and I noticed it acting weird. Smoke was coming out of the hood and I was worried. I pulled into a parking lot and looked for somebody who looked like he knew cars. I found a guy and he pointed me to a hose that had a tear in it. The smoke I saw was antifreeze spewing out of it. He gave me instructions on how to get home and sent me off. The 30-minute drive took nearly 2 hours, as I had to constantly pull over and let the engine cool down.

I called my mom's boyfriend, Tim, who knows about cars. He said he could fix it for me, but he was out of town with my mom for a few more days. I went to a garage. They gave me an estimate of $150. Stretching things thin, but I needed it done and if that would fix it, it seemed like a good idea. While fixing my hose, the guy called me over and showed me a belt on my car. It was frayed and the frayed part was what smacked into the hose, causing it to be cut. He said I needed the belt replaced and it would probably cost another $160. I didn't have that with me, so I said I'd get it fixed later.

Driving from Mercer Street to my apartment, a couple minute drive, I had to pull over as my car started to overheat. So, I paid $150 to get something fixed that didn't actually fix the problem. I made it home and parked my car for a few days until my mom and her boyfriend got home. In the meantime, I had to walk to Pizza Hut. On a positive note, my tan is looking pretty good.

Tim got back and fixed the belt. It cost $24. He said the hose probably would have been in the $30-$40 range if he had fixed it. So... FUCK.

So, that's where life is at right now. RadioShack doesn't know that I work at Pizza Hut yet. So, I need to figure out what I'm doing there. If I'm quitting RadioShack or trying to manage two jobs. Honestly, I can manage Pizza Hut plus 6 hours at RadioShack, but would it be worth it?

I sent out a tweet the other day expressing my frustration: "If you hear anything on the news later about a guy plummeting to his death from a bridge, it's probably gonna be me. Just a heads up."

It's been a rough week. I keep telling myself that other people have it worse than me. At least I have a job. And, technically, I have two. As much as things suck, it could always be worse. Yes, I spent over $100 more fixing my car than I had to, but at least I have a car that works now.

Every time something difficult comes up to me in life, I tell myself that it builds character. It's all about paying your dues. Good things will happen to me at some point in life, and when they do I'll appreciate them more.

Until then? Well, the struggle continues.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I graduated and I'm only working about 10 hours a week at my "professional" post-college job. I literally make the same amount of money as someone who works 40 hours minimum wage. The pay would be awesome if I weren't capped off at ten hours because I'm not needed.

    So I live with my parents and bitch while I apply for every possible job in my field that isn't this one. Basically I have my job, my other part-time job, and tutoring on the side. Plus I just started a summer night job that overlaps all that other stuff by two weeks. I kind of want to die. When does it start fitting? Apparently not automatically when you become an adult or graduate. I'm still waiting.

    I feel your pain, bro. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete