Friday, May 10, 2013

Notes about life

I was driving through some heavy rain earlier. Like, that kind of heavy rain where you're driving super slow, the windshield wipers are on the max setting, and it's still hard to navigate out. While I was doing that, it reminded me of my car wreck I had in 2011. I realized that the 2-year anniversary had passed and I didn't notice it.

Here's the blog I wrote in 2011 a few days after the wreck: http://chrisslater.blogspot.com/2011/04/wanna-know-how-i-spent-my-saturday.html

Here's the blog I wrote in 2012 looking back at it: http://chrisslater.blogspot.com/2012/04/one-year-later-looking-back-at-my-car.html

If you don't want to click any of those links, the short story is that I hydroplaned on the interstate, flipped my car over in the median and was trapped in there for a little while until help arrived. I was fine from a physical standpoint, but mentally struggled with driving in the rain for a while after it happened. And, I still don't like driving in the rain.

* * *

I wrote a blog shortly after leaving Outback about how I shaved my beard. I did it partly because I was so closely associated with it among my coworkers and I really wanted to disassociate myself with that place. I was "that guy from outback with the beard" and I didn't want to be that anymore.

I realized the main reason that I enjoy growing a beard is because I'm lazy. There's less upkeep involved when there's more hair on your face. And, as we've all figured out at this juncture of my life, I'm incredibly lazy. So, the beard is back. Come to RadioShack and look at it if you'd like. I'll sell you a phone or batteries. I'm supposed to push the batteries.

* * *

It always surprises a lot of people when they discover that I don't play video games. I like to consider myself a recovering gamer. I got my first gaming console when I was 6 years old and played pretty much nonstop until I was 20 or 21.

I never graduated past the Nintendo 64. A little over a decade or so, the gamecube replaced it and was followed shortly by the first x-box and the PS2. I never graduated past the 64 because by that point I wasn't playing any new games. This shouldn't come as a surprise, but my favorite video games were professional wrestling games.

"Back in my day..." But, seriously, back in my day, the professional wrestling video games were a lot more simplified. Now, you can plug a wrestler into a storyline mode and stuff happens around you. They didn't have that in games when I was younger, and when they finally did, it was basic and fairly predictable. So, as a result, I created my own characters and concocted my own storylines.

I had my own universe that spanned like 6 different wrestling games and characters who jumped between companies and had these backstories and whatnot. It was pretty complicated stuff.

Anyway, I was laying in bed a couple weeks ago thinking about how I missed my Nintendo64 and started thinking about the unresolved storylines I had going on. I thought about how cool it would be to find another Nintendo64 system and pick up on where I left off. I might still do that; we'll see. I'd have to get a 64; if I got an PS3 or X-Box, I'd jump too far in and you'd never see me again. I need something simple that I can just play with when I'm bored. After you read that last sentence, say to yourself, "That's what she said."

* * *

Away from video games and into interacting with real people... I'm going to my first "formal" Saturday night. It's the Tau Kappa Epsilon formal event. It's like a dance-type thing. I'm Ashley's date. She's a TKE "sweetheart." I don't really know a lot about Greek lifestyles, but I figured out pretty early what that meant - "You can't actually join, but we think you're cool."

Probably one of the weirdest moments of my life was when I went to a party with a bunch of members of Sigma Tau Gamma and they all got drunk and started doing their chants. I just stood there awkwardly as they told a tale of digging up a dead girl to fuck her one last time.

For the longest time, a lot of TKE members didn't like me. I think that was mostly because a lot them held prominent positions in the SGA and they usually didn't like what I had to say about them either in The Concordian or in my blog.

The younger ones that I've been around seem to like me. Or, maybe it's just because I'm around Ashley. I think they have to like me because of that. Or, at least just tolerate me.

The irony of the TKE's not liking me back in the day was that for the first 2 years of college my roommate was Alex Hosseini. He became a TKE our sophomore year and he and I remained friendly while a lot of his peers didn't like me.

Funny story: About a month or so ago, Ashley and I were at a bar. We ran into a TKE member from back in my day who knew both of us. The drinks had been flowing, and he was very friendly to me. It had been years since he had been programmed to dislike me, so I looked at it as water under the bridge.

Later, Ashley and I were ready to leave. I went to the bathroom. When I came back, I noticed that that guy had his arm around Ashley's shoulder and they were talking. I figured they were saying goodbye, so I stood off in the distance to give them their time. After noticing me, Ashley gave me a look with her eyes that said, "Let's get out of here."

I approached. He removed his arm. We left. She then told me that this guy was talking shit about me, asking her how she could be with a guy like me, etc and etc. So, I guess old habits die hard for some people.

So, the TKE formal should be fun. Or, as fun as something like that can be. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

* * *

To segue from a Concord University fraternity to Concord University news:

If you haven't heard by now, Kendra Boggess has been selected as the interim President of Concord University. At the time of her selection, Boggess was an interim Vice President. So, I guess we'll see where things go from there.

She'll probably be the interim President for the entire academic year, definitely at least the fall semester. There will be a national search for a new President. I assume Boggess will probably apply to take it on fulltime.

A search committee will be formed (or maybe has been formed already) with members representing the different constituency groups at Concord. They will narrow down the applicants and interview them. They will make a decision and give that information to the Board of Governors, who will then decide who the next President of Concord University will be.

Honestly, if Kendra Boggess does apply for it, I could see her getting the job for the simple fact that Concord has never had a female President. If not her, then I foresee a woman getting the job. Now is a good time to do it. The only thing I could see stopping Boggess for it is that she's already here. With nationwide searches, it's almost held against people in-house that they're already here. "We're looking for the best, that means we need to look everywhere but here" seems to be the motto.

So, that's something to keep an eye on if you're a student at Concord University for the 2013-2014 academic year.

That seems like a good stopping point for now. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens in my life anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment