Thursday, May 2, 2013

Me & Ashley Green

I've gotten some good feedback about the last blog I posted, about why I gave up on the SGA. There are a lot of comments on facebook and some on the actual blog itself. One thing I always like to do is foster a discussion. I hope that most of the SGA officials are mad at me for what I wrote. That means that they haven't given up on the SGA.

I haven't talked much with Ashley about it. We have sort of a general understanding that we don't talk much about the SGA, because we don't tend to agree on a lot of things. It's surprising then, that we focus on other things, because one would assume that that's all we have.

That's actually what we initially started bonding over, then things progressed from there. The thing about Ashley and myself is that we sort of had a friendship for a couple years that was about having a friendship. For the last couple years, most of our conversations when we saw each other or occasionally over Facebook were variations of "We should hang out sometime." And we never really did. I even told her I would give her free Pizza Hut if she'd come see me.

We reconnected over the summer when some of her friends worked at Pizza Hut and our two worlds combined. A friend of mine from Pizza Hut was at a party at Ashley's house. She didn't know that I knew Ashley. She got drunk and called me. I was asking where she was and she wasn't sure. I was then asked, "Do you know Ashley Green? This is her apartment." Ashley then got on the phone, invited me over, and the rest is history.

I'm oddly good at remembering my first interactions with people. For those people who like odd trivia, here's the story of my first interaction with Ashley Green:

It was the fall of 2008. It was my fifth year and Ashley's second. We knew of each other. I had been Editor-in-Chief of The Concordian the previous year and she was in the SGA. I was writing a blog about the SGA and had it finished except for one technical detail. I forgot what somebody's position was. It was something late, like 2 a.m. and I went on Facebook to see if my usual SGA source was online - Jeff Yeager. Usually when I had a question about something I would ask him. He wasn't online, but I noticed that somebody else was - Ashley Green.

I thought about it for a second. I was a little hesitant because I didn't really know her. I didn't think it would be too weird, because I knew she would know it wasn't completely random. So I clicked on her name and typed: "Hey. Is Chris Matheny the Chief Justice or Prime Justice?" She responded. I finished my blog. The next afternoon, we passed in the Student Center. We smiled at each other and that was it.

That was a nice interaction. Here's an awkward one we had a few years later:

It was the summer of 2011. It was the weekend. I finished up at work and a few friends told me to meet them at Danny's, the local bar in Princeton. I got there and they had already been drinking for a while. I talked to them for a minute, then headed up to the bar.

It was busy, so I was standing there for a minute. One the other side of the bar, I noticed Ashley Green talking to some people. She noticed me. As was our usual protocol, we smiled at each other and waved. She went back to what she was doing. I got my drink and went back to my friends.

Some time passed. I believe I was on drink 2. I turned around and saw Ashley wobbling toward me. She had started a little earlier than me. She wrapped her arms around me. She was wearing shoes with heels on, so I was staring straight up at her. She talked about how good it was to see me and how we always talk about how we should hang out but never do. She was leaving and wanted to come say bye to me, so she did. She wobbled out out of the bar and to her apartment.

I went back to hanging out with my friends. The drinks kept coming. Sometime as the night was approaching its close and I was getting a little wobbly myself, I started thinking about what had just transpired. In what is always a mistake, I pulled out my phone. I typed a message:

"We need to hang out more." That seemed to mirror the mood I was in: innocent, but flirty. I hit send. I instantly regretted it.

Thankfully, she never responded. A couple days pass. I'm hungry, so I head to Sheetz. I go to open the door and almost walk right into Ashley. We both stare at each other before awkwardly talking about our plans for the night. She was going to meet up with some friends. I said I might do the same. We stared at each other awkwardly for another second before we parted ways.

And that was that. I told her that story about a month ago. She didn't remember it. It's for the best that she has no memory of that.

* * *

I don't know where all of that came from. I was initially talking about the last blog I wrote, but then I got on this kick. It's probably a more interesting story than what I was initially going to write. If you have any stories of awkward interactions with Ashley, feel free to share them here. Or, don't. That could probably get weird...

1 comment:

  1. LOL. All I can tell ya Chris was for my first 6 months at Chili's she hated my guts. No idea why. However, once the natural order of things reasserted themselves, she couldn't help but like me. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete