Thursday, November 8, 2012

Remember all that snow?

That "Frankenstorm" thing from a week or so ago really sucked. Remember that? My power was out for 2 days and I had to stay at my mom's house.

What sucks about it the most, probably, was that things looked good for me at first. It had started snowing the first day of the storm and everybody was saying to expect the worst. Well, I got home and saw that my electricity was still on. I breathed a sigh of relief and went inside to prepare for the cold.

Fifteen minutes later, my power went out.

Honestly, I wish I had gotten home 20 minutes later than I did and just walked into a cold, dark apartment. I didn't like getting my hopes up that everything would be fine and then have the power out after I got settled in.

It snowed quite a bit. Here's a picture that I posted on twitter. I don't know the exact measurement, but that's a lot of snow:

That was the morning after the first night. The first night, it was still coming down. I didn't think the power would be out for too long, so I tried to rough it.

I lit a candle and played around on my phone for a few hours until the battery died. Then I went out to my car to warm up and charge my phone.

I sat in my car for probably close to 3 hours. I re-read "The Chris Farley Show," a great look at the life and career of one of my favorite actors.

Tommy Boy is my favorite movie ever. If you go through old posts here in my blog you'll notice (maybe...) that I try to sprinkle Tommy Boy references in here and there.

The book is broken into three parts - his early life, his big break in SNL and movies, and finally his death. It's told in several interviews by people closest to him - his brothers, David Spade, Norm Macdonald, Chris Rock, Lorne Michaels, Jay Mohr, Conan O'Brien, and other SNL cast mates and other actors.

It's a great book. Tommy Boy was a great movie. Some of his other movies were very hit & miss, but the book goes into his bouts of depression caused by his typecasting he couldn't avoid and his efforts to break out of it. He was also the original voice of Shrek and had recorded most of the dialogue before his death. There wasn't enough to finish it, so they re-wrote it and cast Mike Myers. It goes into detail with that, too.

So, after finishing the book I went to bed. It was probably around 5 a.m. by this point. I woke up around 1 p.m. extremely cold and hungry. I didn't have to work, so I didn't have a nice, warm place to go to since the power was still out in my apartment. So, I went to my mom's.

I got through that night. I had to work at 4 p.m. the next day. So, I stayed at my mom's until 3 p.m. and got ready for work. I had left my work clothes at my apartment, so the idea was to stay at my mom's as long as possible and then go to my place and change, since I still didn't know if the power was out. Luckily, it was back on when I got there to change.

Snow in October is weird. Luckily everything with my apartment is back to normal. All I had to endure was two days without electricity and I at least had a warm place to go. There were a lot of areas, especially the New York area, that were affected a lot worse and are still feeling the residual effects.

One thing I always try to do when I'm feeling down is to remember that it could always be worse. Yeah, my apartment was cold, but at least I still had an apartment and it's warm now.

One thing that does kind of suck is that things are starting to go back to normal and the melting of the snow has created this sort of "false happiness" for me. Winter is my least-favorite season and I hate snow. So, seeing all of this snow melting makes me happy. But, then I remember that this was early snow and it will just be back in a month or so. Then my happiness is gone.

Hopefully that's the worst of it and this winter will be a peaceful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment