Sunday, October 7, 2012

Went out last night...

Last night I received a text message from my friend Kayleigh stating that she was in town. This was cause for celebration, since she had moved away a few weeks earlier after getting a job in Charleston aka "the big times." Click here to see a picture from her going-away party. I'm the drunk guy in the front row.

Anyway, I went out. It was a pretty good time. I ran into a lot of people I knew. It was at Leo's, a bar on Athens Road, on the way to Concord University. It was only my second time going there. Had Kayleigh not said she was there, I likely wouldn't have ever gone back.

The first time was not very good. It was pretty busy, so there was a crowd around the bar. My friend was in line ahead of me and ordered his drink and mine. The cost was six dollars. A little pricey for beer in Princeton, but not too bad. I went up later to get our second round. I ordered the same two beers. The bartender looked at me for a second before saying, "Seven dollars." So, we were playing that game.

I didn't want to say anything, because I wasn't sure how he would take it. I didn't know if he would pull a Soup Nazi on me - "No beer for you!" - so I didn't bring up the beer gouging.

The second time was a lot more fun. There was a live band, good friends, and a lot of people that I hadn't seen in a while. One of the funnier aspects for me was that during the course of the night, I had five different people tell me that they liked my blog and read it a lot. I even had one guy ask how the Mountain Slate project is going.

The biggest thing with starting anything is money. I need that start-up fund before I can start up. I'm talking to a few different people and exploring a few different avenues. People probably think nothing is happening, since nothing is actually happening. But, good things come to those who wait.

So, as of right now, Mountain Slate exists on twitter and a little-used blog. I had a lot of ideas for sort of making that into a mini-magazine, but life and shit got in the way of having extra time for that. Plus, it's a wordpress site and I haven't figured out how to use it fully yet. These kids and their newfangled blogging technology...

Within the next month, I will either have good or bad news to report on trying to acquire funding. Something will happen, I'm just not sure what yet.

I ran into Scott Noble, the Editor-in-Chief of The Concordian. We had a quick drunken conversation about the newspaper and whatnot. I've had a chance to look at the first two issues. If anybody on campus hasn't seen them, go look for them. It's in your best interest to keep up with stuff.

If I can give the staff of The Concordian any advice, it is this: With a bi-weekly format, the newspaper is not where people go for news anymore. Any breaking news will no longer be breaking after a 2-week period. Informative features, well-thought-out opinion pieces and editorials, bright attention-grabbing pictures, and sports features are what people need in a bi-weekly paper.

I've said for years to anybody that will listen that the sports and opinions sections can be the two most popular areas, only if they are properly promoted and encourage readership. Interesting articles that are provocative and touch a nerve will get eyes on them.

An example of a bad opinion piece was the thing from issue 1 where the guy talks about an unprofessional professor. He is so vague and trying not to cause a stir that it's pointless. It reads more like he's talking about the idea of an unprofessional professor as opposed to him being fed up with the one he deals with. You read it and don't care. Name names. Be specific. You might create enemies, but you might also walk into a bar and have 5 drunks tell you they love what you write.

I've also said this for years, but nobody really cares. I hate the color maroon, despite it being Concord's main color. Change the flag at the top of the newspaper back to the old one, instead of that shitty maroon block. Or create a new one. Since it debuted in 2008, I have hated it.

There's that. I'll probably write more about the newspaper at some other point.

2 comments:

  1. First off, why would tell me to name names and then not even have the decency to put my name in? I'm not going to mention names. It's unprofessional and calling the professors out by name borders on petty gossip. Why would I intentionally make an enemy out of someone that I would have to sit with for an hour each day? Besides, I WAS talking about the idea of an unprofessional professor. I didn't write names because there were too many to name. I'm not making a "best-of" list. Besides, I don't write so that I can gain the undying adoration of five drunks. Don't try to tell me how to do my job. Do I come to your work and tell you how to flip burgers? Leave me out of your childish ramblings.

    You haven't been relevant for years and almost no one on the staff even knows who you are. You're just some pizza manager with a blog who thinks that he's Citizen Kane. The Concordian isn't going to change just because you don't like it. Stop being such a self-entitled baby. You haven't earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me a while to reply. I'm horrible about checking for blog comments. Here are a couple replies...

    I'm usually good about tagging people on facebook when I mention them in a blog. But, I didn't have the newspaper in front of me when I wrote this and didn't remember your name. But, it seems to have worked out since you saw it.

    You write, "Besides, I don't write so that I can gain the undying adoration of five drunks." I meant the number 5 in a figurative manner, meaning that if you named names and stood up for yourself, you could gain the respect of those around you, which is what I have accomplished over the years.

    I don't flip burgers. I am no longer a pizza manager. And, I've never seen Citizen Kane, so I don't get that final reference. I'm sure it doesn't paint me in a positive light lol.

    On a more serious note, the ability to take constructive criticism is a very important skill to have. Nobody is perfect; you're not, I'm not. Everybody can improve in some way.

    ReplyDelete