Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Some sort of headline about blogging

That title is in reference to probably the biggest blunder I was a part of during my 4+ years on the staff of The Concordian, Concord University's newspaper. I'll tell that story later. I just couldn't come up with a title and thought of that story. I'll save that one.

For now, a collection of thoughts:

I'm growing my beard back. I went roughly (or smoothly...) 3 1/2 weeks without any facial hair. I just got tired of shaving. I have to shave every 2 days to be clean-shaven and I'm lazy, so we know how that worked out.

The first time I decided I was going to grow a beard was the summer of 2003. I was 16 years old and mentioned it to my grandpa. He seemed astounded: "You can't grow a beard!" he said it almost as a challenge, like he didn't think my body could produce one. A couple weeks later, he told me he'd take me shopping for a beard groomer.

* * *

I had been wanting to make note of this observation for almost a full year, but I needed the proper segue. It's finally happened. Disregard this paragraph and continue below.

The National Basketball Association today issued a ruling that they are going to start punishing players for the act of "flopping," which means they intentionally fall on the ground and pretend another player pushed them. Flopping became popular around the mid 2000s and became a key way for teams to get free throw opportunities and put other teams in foul trouble.

I began covering high school basketball for the Princeton Times last December. I went to most of Princeton High's basketball games for over 2 months. The biggest thing I noticed is that they will attempt to flop on nearly every play. Unlike their NBA counterparts, they are all horrible at it and so obviously flopping that it never once worked out for them.

One a related note, I was at the library a few weeks ago and a man walked in that I thought I recognized. I stared at him for a moment and realized that he was the stepfather to a friend that I used to work with. Then I looked at him again and realized that I actually knew him better as the head coach of Princeton High School's basketball team. By the time I made that connection, he had left.

* * *

I blogged previously about dreams that I have, how they're usually just mundane happenings involving me going to work. I'll dream about having a boring day at work, then wake up and go to work. I had a nightmare for the first time in a long time; longer than I can remember.

I had a nightmare in the sense that something scary happened and I suddenly woke up, still scared. I do not remember the last time something like that happened to me. The reason I was still afraid when I woke up was because of how eerie it was.

The way my bedroom is set up, if I'm laying in my bed on my right side, I can look at my bedroom door, which is usually open. I was dreaming that I was laying on my right side, looking at my bedroom door. A woman suddenly started charging at me with a knife. I woke up and nothing changed. The background in my dream was the same background once I was awake. I was dreaming that I was laying on my right side looking at my bedroom door and I woke up on my right side looking at my bedroom door.

* * *

I was looking through some files in my computer and I noticed that I have a lot of unfinished writings. I typically write something in one sitting and - mostly for blogs - very rarely go over it for a second draft. I get in a creative mood, start tapping my fingers on the keyboard, and then *VOILA* something is written.

If I get out of that mood, I usually just save whatever I have and leave it alone. I have posted two such articles here in my blog, an Editorial I never finished for The Concordian and also a Political Commentary I started writing in 2006 & never finished...

I have like 8 of those in my files right now. It's an eclectic range of articles, everything from a memorial to my hamster that died, a partial review of Andre Agassi's autobiography, discovering pop music when I was 11, and a crazy story about smoking marijuana in 2009 to name a few.

I might post some of those here if anybody wants to read them. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment