Wednesday, September 12, 2012

2012-2013 Concord University SGA budget

I attended the September 12, 2012 meeting of Concord's Student Government Association. It was my first meeting in maybe 17 or 18 months. Before that, I missed only 2 or 3 meetings in a total of 6+ academic years. I have never held a position in the SGA, nor do I ever had a desire to do so in the future. For those 6+ years, I covered the SGA meetings as a reporter for The Concordian, Concord University's newspaper. After I left the staff, I continued to cover the meetings through my blog [click here for an example of that].

I will go into much fuller detail on why I attended today's meeting in a future post. I just need to articulate my reasoning and I'll get into that post-haste.

Two important things of note happened at the SGA meeting that I thought I would quickly share. The Homecoming election rules were passed. That means a lot to people running for Homecoming. I've never really concerned myself with it (with the exception of that flier fiasco from a few years ago).

More importantly, the 2012-2013 budget that the SGA operates under was passed. For this academic year, the SGA had a total of $102,070.00 to work with. The breakdown is below:

Officer Pay: $28,750.00
In House Spending: $7,320.00
Homecoming: $15,000
Spring Fling: $15,000
Discretionary: $36,000

That money comes from the student body. If you attend Concord University, roughly $26 of your tuition goes toward the SGA budget. That's why every student should take a proactive approach to their SGA. They pay for it.

I've written in the past about how I feel as though too much money is spent on Spring Fling. I won't get into that again here [click here if you want to get into that from previous years]. With the officer pay, the President, Vice President, Business Manager and Chief Justice all received monthly pay raises. I don't know if anybody had brought up in previous weeks why those were necessary, but nobody questioned it at this week's meeting.

Discretionary spending is why most organizations attend SGA meetings. They apply for money in the Fall and Spring semesters (out of a possible $18,000 each semester) and they use that for whatever they need to do, such as trips, speakers, buying equipment, etc. The money left over at the end of the year is usually pooled together as a "senior gift," some sort of nice thing for the students. Past gifts have included the gazebo outside the student center, the chairs in the library, and artwork around campus.

I took some notes during the meeting and will probably write something up based off of that, just like I used to do. Once the time comes, I will also fill you in more on why I attended the meeting. I plan to be there next week as well. After that, we'll play it by ear.

Here's my disclaimer I put in my SGA posts: I post links to these blogs in the Facebook "note" feature and tag people based on whether I mention them or if I feel like they would think it is interesting and important for them to read. If I tag you and you would like to not be tagged in future posts, please let me know. If I didn't tag you and you would like to be included in the future, make me aware of it.

Comments are allowed and appreciated, if anybody has anything to add or if I've made any mistakes with my numbers. Anonymous comments are allowed as well, as long as things are kept respectful. Click here for an example of good and bad comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment