Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hodgepodge

I just bought a new battery for my phone. It should be shipped to me at some point on Thursday. I'm not sure what's going on with my phone, but for the last few weeks the battery has only been lasting about 10 minutes or so. It's okay if it's just chilling, but if I start to do something - check twitter, get on the Internet, etc - the battery instantly drains down to that red "warning" bar.

I went to the AT&T store in the mall, but lady I talked to couldn't really help me. I haven't downloaded any new applications or really done anything differently with my phone. Let's see if the new battery works. I also bought a new case.

One-day shipping was $24, while two-day shipping was only $4. While I would like to have this battery tomorrow, I can hold off another day.

* * *

In other news, I finished the advertising contract and informational packet for my magazine project, Mountain Slate. The people I showed it to have said that it looks nice and professional. I'm about a month behind where I'd like to be in getting things done with the magazine, but I'm like 5 years behind where I'd like to be in life, so one month won't kill me.

I have contacted one organization to set up an interview to pursue an advertising relationship (aka them giving me money) and am formulating a plan to begin contacting other forms of business and organizations and whatnot. I'll keep you updated with that.

For more information on Mountain Slate, click here, here, and here. Also, check out @MountainSlate on twitter.

* * *

I've been dreaming a lot lately. It seems as though I have been having vivid, realistic dreams every single night for the last couple months. When I say "realistic," I mean dreams that are just an extension of real life. Like, I will dream that I got up, went to work, then came back home. Nothing crazy or out there, just a casual day at work. Then I'll wake up, go to work, come home.

I can't recall ever really having any type of fantasy type dream, like something that couldn't happen in real life. A lot of times I'll wake up and have to convince myself that it really didn't happen. An example of a nightmare for me is me going to work and all of my friends hate me because I said something stupid. Then I'll wake up feeling awful until I realize that they really don't hate me.

Earlier today I had a dream where I was hanging out with some friends and a guy said something really profound. In the dream I remember thinking how awesome it was and how that was the solution to everything. If I make that my motto in life, I'll go far. And, of course, I can't remember it. I woke up and thought about how awesome it was. I should have written it down, because I fell back asleep and can't recall what it was.

It was something about don't be lazy once you've made it to the top, because somebody will be there to take your spot. Only it was a lot more succinct and used an animal metaphor.

But, I don't really need to remember my dream to know that. That's just good advice.

* * *

As most who read my blog know, I like to write a lot. It's geared more toward journalism; I like to report what is happening, I like to offer my commentary on things. I don't like to create the situation, I like to observe the situation and then present it to you.

With that said, though, I wrote a short story last week. It's only 1500 words and it only took a couple hours to write, so it's not really anything special. It's the first time I've done anything like that in forever. I can't recall the last story I wrote.

I had an idea running through my head and it wouldn't go away, so I expanded on it and words started coming out of me. I'm not ready for anybody to actually read it and I don't know if I ever will. But, I'm finally okay with the idea of people knowing that it exists.

It was fun to do. Even in those short 1500 words, I created a little universe in my head and I could see expanding a lot and creating more stories out of all of it. I don't know if I'll actually wind up doing that, but I see the ability to do so.

We'll see where that goes.

* * *

As a final note, my Facebook account finally was switched over to the "Timeline" feature. I lasted until I was forced to make the switch. For my thoughts on the Timeline, read this blog I wrote a few months ago - http://chrisslater.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-facebook-timeline.html

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking for.
    Do you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome blog!
    my web site: berrydeals.com

    ReplyDelete