Monday, July 9, 2012

It's a good time to be a wrestling fan

There's a lot of good things going on in professional wrestling right now, in WWE and TNA. I'm going to take a quick look at those and also fill you in on my latest writing venture.

I have started a partnership with the Tricycle Offense multimedia blog. It's a cool place to go for a mix of sports, pop culture, comics, commentary, and more. It's run in part by my friend @bhyphen. And, by friend, I mean a guy who I've never met but just know on twitter. But, in this day and age that counts as a friendship.

As you can probably figure out, I'm writing about wrestling. I have submitted two pieces so far, one of which has been published. It's a look at the recent 5-year anniversary of the Chris Benoit murder/suicide tragedy. The link is below -

http://tricycleoffense.com/2012/07/09/chris-benoit-5-years-later/  

Check it out. Let me know what you think. I also wrote a DVD review that I was told should be posted in the next couple days. I don't really have anything else planned to write at the moment, but you never know when inspiration will strike.

I haven't sent anything to Under the Ring in a while. I was contributing there for a few months, but I got lazy and quit writing. Phil, who started the blog, initially asked for a couple contributors due to not having as much time to write. As I started to write less, he started writing more, so I feel like it balances out. If he ever needs some help again, I'll jump at the opportunity. @JackieFiest also contributes. She mostly writes about Friday Night Smackdown. Follow her on twitter if you're a wrestling fan. She likes Kane.

Here's a collection of some of my "greatest hits" from Under the Ring:

Slater ranks the 27 WrestleMania main events

Chris Slater's top 10 Royal Rumbles

Chris Slater looks at Bobby Roode in Impact Wrestling

Chris Slater looks at Kevin Nash's WWE run

Raw recap

So, yeah, there's that. I attempted a relationship with a blog in 2010 called "The Wrestling Dweeb." I only sent in one post before I realized the guy running the blog wasn't serious about keeping the site up. It's titled A few words from Chris Slater and is sort of an introductory piece about why I like wrestling. For random trivia, in 2009, I started to write a piece to submit to NODQ.com, as they were looking for people to write for them. I started a piece about why I didn't like Bobby Lashley, but I gave up on it and never sent them anything.

There's a lot of good stuff to write about in professional wrestling right now, as both major companies are doing some good stuff.

Austin Aries shocked the world last night by winning the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Click here to read a recap from the Cageside Seats blog. I honestly didn't see Bobby Roode's reign ending at the pay-per-view. Most expected Roode to remain champ until this October's Bound For Glory ppv, where it's likely his feud with James Storm will finally culminate. That could still be the plan, but for right now A-Double, who calls himself "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived," is now the World Champion in TNA.

There's an interview below with Aries.


While we're throwing out some blogs, here's a couple I've written about Aries since he came back to TNA last year - Looking at TNA Destination-X 4-way & Austin Aries, longest-reigning X-Division champ.

My girlfriend's friend from college, Michael Paris aka Zema Ion, also won the X-Division championship last night. So, that's pretty cool. He's somebody to keep an eye on as his career progresses through the years.

Over in WWE, Daniel Bryan is still chasing after CM Punk's WWE Championship. It's awesome. And, made even more awesome by the addition of AJ Lee, the surprise breakout star of the summer.

She started out as nerdy arm candy for Daniel Bryan late last year, when he was portraying a nerdy good guy. She remained with him as he slowly transformed into a heel, using her as a psychological ploy against opponents. When he lost the World Championship at WrestleMania 28 in April, he blamed AJ and dumped her.

She then looked to CM Punk for consolation. He initially spurned her advances, but slowly warmed up to her. The term "crazy chicks" was trending on twitter for a while after Punk said on Monday Night Raw "I dig crazy chicks." A t-shirt was also made.

What I like about this storyline now is that before AJ was just a pawn in this angle, but it now seems like she's the main attraction. She's still playing mind games with the two men, but now she actually got the better of them in the ring last week on raw.

She had taken in recent weeks to coming out during matches and distracting the wrestlers. She did it last week but Bryan and Punk ignored her, so she... well, just watch the video below. As a sidenote, AJ mocks Bryan's Yes! chant. If you haven't seen that, it's one of the coolest catchphrases right now.


Not since 2004 have female wrestlers closed the show, when Lita and Trish Stratus battled in the main event for the Women's Championship. But, I can not think of a single instance when a female wrestler closed out the show in a segment involving the WWE Champion and his top contender. She's hot right now, in more ways than one.

So, to summarize:

Go read my blogs.

Watch TNA every Thursday at 8 p.m. on SpikeTV.

Watch WWE every Monday night at 9 p.m. on USA Network and Friday nights at 8 p.m. on SyFy.

No comments:

Post a Comment