Friday, January 6, 2012

West Virginia House Bill 3251; Medical Marijuana

Bill 3251 of the West Virginia House would create the "Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act." It was written by Mike Maypenny, a Democrat from Taylor, WV. It was introduced in February, 2011. 

The word I'm hearing is that it's going to be brought up for discussion at some point this year. It would allow for medical marijuana use in the state of West Virginia. If passed, WV would follow Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington in allowing medical marijuana. Arizona has some similar laws, but not exactly the same as the other states.

Here's the introduction to House Bill 3251 - 

A BILL to amend the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, by adding thereto a new article, designated §16-8A-1, §16-8A-2, §16-8A-3, §16-8A-4, §16-8A-5, §16-8A-6, §16-8A-7, §16-8A-8, §16-8A-9, §16-8A-10, §16-8A-11, §16-8A-12, §16-8A-13 and §16-8A-14, all relating to creating the "Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act;" stating legislative intent; permitting the medical use of marijuana; determining the types of patients and their physicians and caregivers who are exempt from prosecution; limiting the amount of marijuana that may be possessed; designating compassion centers; requiring sales tax to be collected and deposited into a special fund for drug prevention and abuse; prohibiting the operation of a motor vehicle; requiring the use of identification cards; requiring record keeping to be confidential; permitting funding; requiring reports; collecting sales tax; setting forth duties of the State Police; defining terms; and granting rule-making authority. 

That weird symbol stands for "sub-section." To read the entire bill, click here.

Would medical marijuana be good for the state of West Virginia? I feel like marijuana is a very misunderstood drug. Can it cause problems? Yes. But, a lot of research over the years has shown that marijuana can have a lot of positive benefits as well. 

At the very least, creating a medical marijuana law in West Virginia would likely cut down on arrests for possession. It's something that a lot of people are doing, and a lot of people who would be able to use this for medicinal purposes shouldn't be prosecuted for it.

While there is room for the system to be abused; I'm sure the amount of "glaucoma" incidents would suddenly increase, I feel like the potential pros will outweigh any cons. The state of West Virginia would be monitoring and in charge of the marijuana industry in the state. It would take it off the street and into the state. That seems like a step in the right direction to me.

Any thoughts? Feel free to chime in. You can leave anonymous comments.

7 comments:

  1. From what I've seen from some comedians, it isn't even "glaucoma" cases anymore. You can get a prescription for only sleeping 5 hours a night to a little back ache every now and again. I'd probably try it to see if it would actually help me. Sitting at a desk all day no matter how much stretching and exercise I try and do kills my lower back and hips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard that it's pretty simple in some areas to get a prescription. If it becomes an option, it's definitely something worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from the medicinal benefits, which in some cases may be still be placebo, I am more interested in two separate but equal in importance aspects of this possibility: agricultural growth for the economy and social guiltlessness.

    Let's face it, I believe that everyone is a little tired of the belief that at age 18, you're screwed unless you A) go to college then subsequently move to North Caroline B) join the military C) go into the mines.

    Bleak.

    I want to know what the economical benefits of this would be for the state. Also, safely being able to support a habit in a more square dealing atmosphere would do a good bit of justice for the social aspect of everyday life in WV, seemingly. I do not believe in any sort of right wing slippery slope rhetoric that may/will show up in the future.

    Although I no longer live in WV, I am excited for the potential of this bill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's something that would be very interesting to see. Turning marijuana into an industry, as opposed to leaving it to shady backstreet dealers. It would undoubtedly be beneficial. Marijuana is something that is not going away. We need jobs. Turn it into a job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, there's some interesting discussion on Facebook, where I provide links to all of my blogs. Check the link for that -

    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150565205020169

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking for someone that has pain due to degenerative disk disease, I can see the benefit. A long time ago I would partake on a recreational basis. I ahev tried it as an alternative to pain meds and it helped.

    Now, will it be abused if the law passes? Absolutely. Is it currently abused? You bet.

    I go through a substantial amount of Percocet that legally prescribed every month. I say substantial because it is around 120 per month. I feel this is too much but it helps. I would love to use something natural that is easier on my body without it being illegal.

    I feel that if I continue on the same path I am on I will either need a liver transplany or end up OD'ing. Something that is of ZERO concern with the alternative medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, your story seems to be an all-too-common one. Medical marijuana looks to be something that could really help and yet it still remains a hot-button issue.

    Hopefully the stigma surrounding this issue will slowly erode over the years.

    ReplyDelete