Thursday, December 22, 2011

Female soldier embraces girlfriend upon return


For the first time to be documented, an openly gay member of the armed forces kissed her partner after arriving home after being stationed overseas.

I tweeted a link to the AP's story through my magazine's twitter account. Yes, that's a cheap plug. Check out the story and my twitter.

RT @MountainSlate: First time seen since #DADT repealed, female soldier embraces girlfriend upon return from overseas - http://apne.ws/u0JyNe


This is something that is really groundbreaking and amazing. But, the sad thing is that it shouldn't be. It's a woman kissing a woman. I'm very happy that gays are now openly allowed to serve in the military. I just feel like we're still so far behind on gay rights. I just don't understand why anybody would have any sort of prejudice against any sort of sexual orientation.

I feel like gay marriage will be our generation's version of women and black people being allowed to vote. My grandkids will look at me one day and say, "Gay people really weren't allowed to get married when you were a kid?" And I'll respond, "Yeah. That was really stupid."

Hopefully things like the picture above will help desensitize people to the idea that gay people are also people and that there's nothing wrong with them.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the V-J Day kiss in Times Square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're right. I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it.

    For those who don't know what that photograph is, odds are highly likely that you've seen it & just don't realize it -

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-J_Day_in_Times_Square

    ReplyDelete