Friday, March 11, 2011

A few small blogs combined together

I've wanted to blog about a few different things for a while now, but I've been busy with work and I've been pretty tired lately. Plus, for some reason I had a really bad headache all day Wednesday. I very rarely ever get headaches and when I do they usually don't last very long. So, it was a big adjustment to have my head hurt for over 12 hours. But, I'm feeling better now.

It's Spring Break. How am I celebrating? Working all week. I don't have anything better to do.

I had a couple days free earlier in the week, so I went to see my girlfriend, Candace Nelson. For those who don't know, she lives in Morgantown. That's a 3-4 hour drive, depending on the traffic. The quickest I've ever made the drive was 3 hours and 15 minutes and the longest was a little over 5 hours. The 5-hour trip featured very heavy rain and I could only drive about 40 mph. I usually average around 4 hours.

I left work on Sunday March 6 and arrived in Morgantown that night. I left Tuesday morning, since I had to work at 3 p.m. It's a little rough sometimes driving that much, but I feel like it's worth it. I enjoy her company. I was also there earlier in the week for just one night. She blogs about restaurants and wrote about the one we went to. Click here to read that. It was fancy. Well, as fancy as a restaurant under a bowling alley can be.

I've read three books lately that I felt like writing about. I'll give a brief rundown of them. All three are professional wrestling related.

The first is Batista's autobiography. I actually don't want to talk too much about that, since it was pretty average as far as books go. It was cool in that he was pretty open about some stuff, like people he didn't like and stuff. If you're a really big wrestling fan, read it. If not, you're not missing much.

The reason I was kind of excited about Batista's book was because it was the first book that I've read electronically. I downloaded an e-reader app to my BlackBerry and read it from there. That was pretty cool. I'm not quite ready to jump into the whole "Is the book industry dead?" debate over e-readers yet. I need to check out a couple more books before I get into that. And, plus, I'm not even really using an e-reader. I read the book on like a 5-inch screen. More on that subject later.

Next is "The Death of WCW," which was an interesting read. The 10-year-anniversary of World Championship Wrestling's death as a wrestling company is approaching at the end of March. I'd say the exact date, but I don't want people to make fun of me for knowing the exact date. And, of course, when I say "death," I mean when WCW was bought by Vince McMahon and the WWE.

This was a good book for both the casual and hardcore fan. It charted a rough history of WCW, from the late '80s until the last episode of Monday Nitro on March 26, 2001. (Oops, now you know that I know the exact date.) For the casual fan, all of this information is new and mind-boggling in a sense. For the hardcore fan, it's a fun - and mind-boggling - trip down memory lane.

Chris Jericho's "Undisputed: How to Become World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps" was an amazing book. One of the reasons Jericho's first book was so great was because the backstory to Jericho making it to WWE was so interesting. The places he wrestled - Canada, Germany, Mexico, Japan - before making a name for himself in America made for a unique story that not many others had. His second book picks up right where his 1st book left off - his WWE debut. He goes into backstage politics he experienced: how he offended The Undertaker, how Triple H tried to hold him down, how Vince McMahon would explode and yell at him sometimes, and more. He writes about his music career, his 1999-2005 WWE stint, his attempts at acting, his mother's death, the night he spent in jail, and much more.

One of the funnier entries in Jericho's book is the "Bonus Foreword." The regular foreword was written by NY Times Bestselling Author Mick Foley, but Jericho notes that WWE wrestler Zack Ryder jokingly mentioned that he would write a foreword and post it on Twitter. Ryder did and Jericho notes that he thought it was very funny and oddly touching, so he included it in the book.

We'll use that as a segue to one of the more entertaining wrestling-related things I've stumbled on lately - Zack Ryder's YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/LongIslandIcedZ. For somebody who doesn't follow wrestling, he has a very Jersey Shore-ish character. He's actually been doing the character since before the show started, though.

He's had the YouTube channel for about a month now and he's got a good sense of humor and is very entertaining. It's not a side of him that WWE audiences get to see that often, as he's not featured very prominently on WWE programing as of now. And, when he is featured, he's usually losing. CM Punk, one of the top stars in wrestling right now tweeted recently "It's embarrassing that WWE writers don't have @ZackRyder on raw more. They're dropping the ball. Go watch his YouTube videos. ENTERTAINMENT." His first video is embedded below. There are three others. They're all pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment