Friday, March 4, 2011

"Bad Bad Man," John Cena



I mentioned in my last blog that John Cena released an album. It was called You Can't See Me and was released in May, 2005. It debuted at number 15 on the Billboard Top 200 chart. Above is the first single off the album, "Bad Bad Man." The video is based off "The A-Team."

I feel like it gives you a good idea of what his range was as a rapper. I don't feel like he was an athlete who tried to rap. I feel like John Cena can be accurately described as both a rapper and an athlete. If he weren't a professional wrestler, I think he could have a fairly successful career in the music industry.

I remember when this album came out. It was barely a month after Cena won his first WWE Championship at WrestleMania 21. He was one of the hottest-rising stars in professional wrestling at the time and was really popular with fans. I went to Walmart with Dave White, a friend from back in the day, and he bought the album. We listened to it that night. Overall, it's not too bad. A couple songs are kind of cheesy, but he has talent and this is a good effort from him.

I wrote a couple posts back about WWE's transition from a TV-14 to TV-PG product. You can tell that this was released back in the more "risque" era, as evidenced by the track "Don't Fuck With Us." Could you imagine today's John Cena saying something like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment