Monday, February 28, 2011

"Hustle," Murs



I first saw this video back in the fall of 2004. It's "Hustle," by Murs. The first time I saw the video, I thought it was pretty cool. It's a good track, with nice beats and an interesting lyrics. The video is funny, as Murs is teaching a "How to Be a Hustler" class. He's rapping about how he used to hustle as a kid while the people in the audience are taking notes.

Near the end of the video, he leaves the class and I see a shirt that Murs is wearing and think to myself, "Cool!" and then I see who shows up in the end and raps a verse and I think to myself, "Holy Shit!"

Yes, John Cena shows up in the video and lays down a rhyme. At the time, that was his WWE character and he's very good at it. He even released his own album a few years back. I remember reading at the time that Cena got in trouble with WWE for appearing in the video, as he didn't get permission to do so. This video came out probably 7 months before he won his first WWE Championship and he wasn't quite at the level within WWE as he is now.

If you saw the blog where I posted his response to The Rock and wondered if his rap skills were legit, here's your answer.

5 comments:

  1. I can't buy into the rap persona. I feel like he's trying to hard, and he just doesn't strike me as the "gangsta" type. Also, he threw a kid - isn't that his core audience? Ooof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all you know is the 2011 version of John Cena, then yeah, it's hard to buy into his rap persona.

    The reason why there was such an anti-Cena backlash from the older audience was because they had trouble buying into his current persona when he switched to a more kid-friendly entertainer.

    The rapper was the first incarnation of John Cena that the masses saw, so they were more used to it back then.

    I have so much wrestling back-history I need to explain to you. This will be so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my idea of exciting. AND HEY, I saw the 2010 version of John Cena, too!

    So, what about others like me who are just seeing this rapping John Cena for the first time? Difficult transition from PG entertainer to rapper ... identity disorder! Will he lose current fans and gain back that older crowd?

    ReplyDelete
  4. John Cena is well-enough established that I don't think anything he can do will cause him to lose the younger crowd.

    One thing I did notice was a lot of tweets & online reports from the "older crowd" that really enjoyed his rap and his TV-14 slant.

    I don't see him going back fulltime to his rap persona. But, it was a fun response to The Rock that got some older fans to maybe pay attention to wrestling again.

    Young kids are fickle - they'll like exactly who WWE tells them to like. Remember when a lot of the crowd was cheering The Miz' title victory & then they showed that girl frowning?

    The older audience will decide what they like (Cena's return to rapping) and the kids will like what WWE tells them to like (Cena, post-2008).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, how I miss the Doctor of Thuganomics.

    If I'm not mistaken, MURS made a cameo on Cena's album too. Either that or he helped produced a track or two. I know that 9th Wonder (MURS's long-time producer) had a pretty heavy hand in Cena's album.

    ReplyDelete