Wednesday, November 3, 2010

5 - "Hero of the Day," Metallica



As I mentioned in my previous Top 50 post, this is not a list of my favorite songs, but rather, a list of the most-played songs on my computer's iTunes. That's why there are a lot of Metallica songs in the list - I was in a mood last summer to listen to Load a lot. With all of that said, though, "Hero of the Day" would rank high on the list of my favorite songs. It's the highest-ranked song from Metallica on my list, and would have been on this list even if I didn't go through my "Load phase" back in 2009.

It's just a really cool song. It follows that same pattern that I like about Metallica from this era (mid-90s) - slow intro and conclusion, louder chorus/middle. Lyrically, it's kind of vague. What is a "Hero of the Day"? Is it somebody we want to look up to? Is it somebody we should look up to? Somebody we do look up to, but we shouldn't? Is it even a person? Draw your own conclusions.

Metallica released a version of "Hero of the Day" on their S&M live album. Get your mind out of the gutter - it stands for "Symphony & Metallica." They played their songs with a symphony backing them. Click here to listen to that version.

2 comments:

  1. That too is one of mine.. cuz i totally stole your idea.. my old ipod broke tho.. and i had to quit cuz my new one doesn't have my played songs list..


    My senior year of high school there was a boy in the drumline with me and we would ride around jamming out to stuff in my car.. And i'd have all my typical heavy stuff playing.. and he would always insist on listening to that song. The day before we returned from Christmas Break, that boy passed away.. So that song brings back some memories of a friend long forgotten.. But since i can't see where it's at on the list.. cuz my old ipod finally gave out, at least i know it is there.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete