Wednesday, November 3, 2010

4 - "Readymade," Red Hot Chili Peppers



Number four on the list of the Top 50 most-played songs on my computer's iTunes is "Readymade," by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is one of the faster-paced songs on RHCP's Stadium Arcadium album. I've read both a lot of praise and also a lot of criticism leveled against "Readymade." Most of the praise is directed at John Frusciante's guitar work, particularly the solo in the middle. Some criticism I've read has been that the bass line seems too similar to a Jane's Addiction song, the intro sounds like an Audioslave song, and that the word "Readymade" is used too many times.

When writing about song #6 on my list, I noted that one thing I felt was missing from music was a sense of realism, and that too much stuff was post-produced in the studio. "Readymade" features a spontaneous moment that shows the band was just in the studio performing this song together, as Anthony Keidis yells "Clean it up, Johnny!" to Frusciante right before his guitar solo. It's nice to hear something that's real.

No comments:

Post a Comment