Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Concord musings

 I have a few short thoughts on a couple different areas. I felt like combining those into one blog.

# # #

I had my final meeting with the Academic Success Center today. I had been meeting with Trena Bolin for the last few weeks about how to fix any problems I was having academically. It was decided that if I didn't have a D or F when midterms came out that I wouldn't have to meet anymore. I didn't, so I don't have to see her anymore.

Most people who know me realize that I'm a big procrastinator. When the meeting started, Trena asked if I had any midterms. My response: "I don't know. I didn't check."

# # #

Homecoming Week is underway at Concord University. For a list of candidates running, check out this week's issue of The Concordian.

Personally, I've never really understood the appeal of Homecoming. I've never really enjoyed any of the events nor have I been excited about the football game at the conclusion of the week. I don't even think I've ever voted for the King or Queen before.

I only attended Homecoming events in order to cover it for The Concordian, back when I did that stuff. I only ever attended one event for personal reasons. That was the Homecoming parade from two years ago. And, even then, I wound up writing a Letter to the Editor in The Concordian about it. It was about how I was disappointed in the football team.

# # #

Speaking of The Concordian, I've been enjoying reading it lately. Well, most of it. It's been a struggle over the last two years, but the paper is slowly earning its credibility back after that disastrous 2008-2009 academic year they had.

I've always been a big proponent of having a solid Opinions section. It's the voice of the students. The opinions section was virtually nonexistent during that 08-09 year I talked about earlier. I tried to help out last year with that weekly column I wrote. This year, there's potential for it. Julia Spencer and Dustin Blankenship have written a couple good pieces for the page so far. There's a lot of potential with the "Imagine" column. The execution is just not coming off well. She starts off each column with "Imagine _______" and then goes on to talk about how things would be better if that were the case. Well, she tries to do that. It usually just turns into her complaining about how sick she gets. There's a way to successfully complain in a column and get things accomplished. Once she figures out how to do it, her column will improve dramatically.

Also, while we're on the subject of the newspaper, I would like to point out that I was not fired from The Concordian last fall for plagiarism. That was another guy named Chris. I had somebody ask me about that recently. Hopefully not a lot of people think that was me.

# # #

We're officially into Autumn here at Concord. For the most part, I don't enjoy it. I don't like seeing trees die and the weather get cold. We've had a couple nice Autumn days, though. I like warm weather and it hasn't been too chilly the last couple days. Here's a picture I took:

# # #

I guess that's all for now. I'll hopefully have some stuff of substance in here sometime in the future. I have a lot more thoughts about all of the above and might elaborate on some of it if I get time.

I also will eventually get that music list complete that I've been posting in my blog throughout the last few months. I also have some other music ideas floating around in my head that I've wanted to write about. We'll see how that goes.

And, I know people want an update on myself and Candace Nelson. I've been dating her for nearly two months and have barely blogged about it. The anticipation must be driving people crazy. I'll see what I can do.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't care less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy that you use her full name each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I need to properly introduce her first, then I can just switch to her first name. She's not on a "first-name-basis" with my readers yet lol

    ReplyDelete