Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Things I hate about college...

There's a lot of stuff that I like about college. But, that's not what I want to talk about right now. As we all know by now, I didn't attend college last semester. I got out of the groove of college and that world. Being back for almost a month now, I've gotten reaquainted with the college world. I remember all of the stuff I like. I also, sadly, am remembering all of the stuff I don't like about college.

Here are two things I absolutely cannot stand about college.

People who talk to hear themselves talk. Everybody has one of those classes with that person. You know, the one who feels the need to interject his or her opinion after every point the professor makes.

What's even worse than those people are the ones who think they know more than the professor. I have a history class right now. There's some girl in there who seems like she's glued to the Discovery channel, judging by what comes out of her mouth.

We were shown a picture in class the other day. A student asked a question about a detail. The professor wasn't sure. The girl chimed in, "Well, actually, here's the reason for..."

It would be one thing to know a lot about one area. She started doing this when we were talking about Egypt. If she had said something like, "Well, I know a lot about Egypt," that would be different. But, now we're talking about China and she's still doing it.

She has such an egotistical tone to her when she speaks that it bugs me.

Another thing I dislike about college is the absurd amount of rhetorical questions that professors ask. Rhetorical questions insult my intelligence. One every now and then to make a point is one thing. But, to ask things that so obviously don't need an answer, it just bothers me.

As I've grown up a little bit and matured a little bit, I can realize how stupid this is, but I used to quit going to classes if I didn't like them. I didn't like the way the professor taught, so I just figured I'd take it later. Do you know what happens with that? You wind up being a 24-year-old, seventh-year college student.

It seems like such lazy teaching for a professor to lecture about something and then ask about it. To teach a subject for half an hour, then ask a question about it irks me.

A professor will lecture for half an hour, then give an example of something and say, "Why do you think that is?" I'm just sitting there shaking my head, thinking to myself, "Because of what you just fucking said 10 minutes ago!"

A personal example involved me earlier this week. I was in class with Dr. Corey Williams. He's also my academic advisor. He's a good professor. I like him. He just threw out a rhetorical question to me and I purposely tried to mislead him to see how important my answer was.

We were talking about careers and things that people need to be succesful in their careers. Dr. Williams first asked somebody what they wanted to do with their career and the guy said "sports agent." Dr. Williams then talked for a minute about what one needs to be a succesful sports agent. Then, perhaps realizing that he didn't know a lot about that, he looked at me.

"Chris, what do you want to accomplish in life?"

I knew where he was going with this, and that he was just using me to set up his next point. So, I said, "I'm not sure."

Without missing a beat, Dr. Williams responds, "What does it take to be a succesful journalist?"

It's just me, but I think college would be a lot easier if every class just had people sitting there and a professor talking. I don't like student interaction. I don't like dumb questions. I don't like hearing from fellow students who need an ego boost.

I don't like a lot more about college, but I feel like this is enough for now.

5 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I have an "answerer" in a few of my classes, too. Unfortunately, I'm sure the person is quite sweet when outside the classroom; inside it, on the other hand, she makes everyone's eyes roll. It's pretty frustrating to realize that if the person weren't interrupting at every turn in the professor's lecture, we'd get at least fifteen minutes more lecture in. I realized that earlier this semester when said person wasn't at a class meeting. Everyone wants the chance to flex their intellectual nuts sometimes, and I'm all for that, but I feel if you've spoken three times in a class and no one else has spoken at all, even if the professor is leaning on you to respond to the questions, it's your duty not to be a know it all. (Although I must admit I've done that accidentally in the past).

    Anyway, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's one thing to answer if the professor points you out. In some journalism classes I've taken, I've had the professor look at me and ask me what I think about something. What do you do in that situation? I talked. It's another thing if I interjected myself after every point just because I knew something about it. Nobody goes to class to hear me talk lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just throwing this out there - You better not be talking about me in our Persuasion class. LOL. I kind of have no choice other than to talk, considering we're the only two students in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points. I think that's 2 of the things I don't miss most about college 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy,

    That class is such an unusual circumstance - somebody has to talk lol

    ReplyDelete