Friday, July 23, 2010

Movies I want to see

I was thinking recently of some movies I wanted to see, and as usual, it inspired a blog. The following is 10 movies that I want to see, in no particular order. Some are already in theaters, some will be out soon, some have been out for a while. If you have any you'd like to add to the list, leave them in the comments section.

Toy Story 3

I got kind of emotional watching this trailer. While kids are going to love this movie, there's going to be a special attachment for the young adults who were kids when the first Toy Story came out. I was 9 when the first movie came out. I was almost a teenager when the second one came out. Now, as an adult, the idea of what do you do with your toys is something I've dealth with. Most of them are sitting in a box at my grandpa's house.



The Green Hornet

A lot of people got mad when they found out Seth Rogen was going to be in this movie. He's the lovable stoner loser from Judd Apatow movies. He's not supposed to be a super hero. Then, people found out how much weight he lost for this role. Then, the trailer came out and it's not much of a stretch. It's not Rogen being something that he's not. He's the same character that he is in all of his movies - he just realizes that he needs to grow up and become something better. In this case, it happens to be a super hero. Just go with it. This is a remake of an old television show that featured Bruce Lee.



The Social Network

Or, as it's better known, "The Facebook Movie." The movie about the creation of social-networking site Facebook stars Jesse Eisenburg (nerdy guy from Zombieland) and Justin Timberlake (pop star-turned decent actor) as Mark Zuckerburg and Sean Parker, the guys credited with creating the biggest thing since... maybe ever. Drama ensues, a chick walks around in her underwear, it's a cool trailer. Music for the movie was done by Trent Reznor, lead singer of Nine Inch Nails. Cool variation of Radiohead's "Creep" in the trailer.



The Other Guys

Will Ferrell either makes really good movies or really bad movies. This one looks pretty good. Well, he kind of looks like the weak link, honestly. Mark Wahlberg looks like he could steal this movie as one half of a buddy-cop tandem with Ferrell. Fairly star-studded cast, featuring Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson as their rivals on the police squad, this movie looks hilarious. I love a good comedy and this has the potential to be a good comedy. Will Ferrell is quickly going into the "David Spade territory" of becoming a caricature of himself in his films. Let's hope his character isn't "typical Will Ferrell" and is instead him being a funny, original character.



Solitary Man

Michael Douglas is a great actor. He does a lot of interesting roles, and this is one of them. In it, he plays a successful man who has lost his fortune. He is trying to accept the fact that he's getting old and isn't the young man he used to be. There are some hilarious one-liners in the trailer and it looks like it will tell a great story by the end.



The Expendables

I'm usually not a big fan of action movies. But, this one looks really cool. I think part of that might be due to the fact that it's so star-studded. I first heard about this movie probably a year or so ago and it's piqued my interest ever since then. First came the teaser trailer that was mostly explosions and peoples' names on the screen. Then, came word that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis had cameos in it. Then, came the full trailer. There's just so much cool shit in this movie. Watch the trailer and enjoy.



Get Low

This is probably one of the most interesting selections in my list. It just seems like a well-acted, interesting story. Bill Murray was a very underrated actor for years, until people realized he could do more than comedy. Now he's very respected and he brings those skills to this film. Robert Duvall looks potentially Oscar-worthy in his role. I've read a little on what this film is about and the story seems really unique.



Greenberg

Something people often forget about Ben Stiller is that he's actually a good actor. He just sold out and made a bunch of shitty movies for a while. There's nothing wrong with that. You can't say no when Robert De Niro is right there selling out with you. Greenberg is a look at life and the how the decisions you make when you're younger affect you as you age. Stiller plays Roger Greenberg, a middle-aged man trying to figure out what has happened to his life. Comedy ensues. Drama ensues. What looks to be a good movie ensues as well.



Cyrus

John C. Reilly starts dating Marissa Tomei. Marissa Tomei has a son, Jonah Hill, who still lives with her. Reilly and Hill don't get along. It's kind of a much-darker version of Step Brothers. Hill plays a man-child who isn't fully adjusted, but he's playing a realistic version, unlike Reilly's character in Step Brothers. One of the cool things about this movie is that most of the lines are improvised. I read an interview with Reilly and he talked about the different way they shot this film. Things like one actor would be told to expect one thing and then something different would happen, how they didn't always know where the cameras were when they were filming, creative things like that.



I Love You Phillip Morris

This movie has been out for probably a year, but has had trouble getting released into theaters and dvd. It has nothing to do with the star power - Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor are the leads. It has to do with the story - they're gay lovers who meet in prison. It's not too much of a stretch, as it's based on a true story. I've heard that it might be getting a theatrical run, but I don't think I've heard anything concrete. I've heard one of the issues is how much they kiss onscreen, as there's apparently a couple make out scenes between them. Mainstream America isn't ready for that.

6 comments:

  1. So I haven't heard of a few of these that actually look really good...Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known about some of these for over a year, and then there's a couple I just found last week. I figure it'll probably take me like a year or so to actually watch all of these lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choices... I've got all of these on my "want to see" list, too.

    "The Expendables" looks to be one of the best action movies to come around in a LONG time. The plot of "Get Low" intrigues me & Robert Duvall... well, he just isn't capable of sucking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely check out The Expendables and a flick you didn't mention, Machete, when they come out on video. However, it's hard for me to justify spending $10 on a ticket for them.

    That Will Ferrell movie looks pretty splendid though, and I'm intrigued by the Michael Douglas and Bill Murray movies. Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rasmenia,

    I'm really intrigued by "Get Low." Of all the movies on here, this is the one I've known about the least longest. It just looks like it's going to be solid acting telling a unique story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,

    Thanks. I just checked out the trailer for "Machete." I had heard about it, but didn't have a lot of information. It looks like a trip lol - Robert Rodriguez has his own style, to say the least.

    Gotta hit up the matinee, lower prices.

    ReplyDelete