Sunday, July 18, 2010

Morgantown

I took a trip to Morgantown for the first time last week. For those unfamiliar with the area, that's a town in the northern part of West Virginia. It's home to West Virginia University. WVU boasts one of the largest student newspapers in the nation, The Daily Athenaeum, which is something that has alway intrigued me. The trip to Morgantown was a result of talking to Candace Nelson, the Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper. She's pretty cool. I might talk about her more later.

The most daunting aspect of driving to Morgantown was that it is 3 hours away from where I live. I don't travel much. I don't get out of the area very often. So, a 3-hour drive is actually a pretty big deal for me. Click here to see my route. The actual act of driving for 3 hours wasn't too bad. It was just that I wasn't sure where I was. It was easy to follow the directions from MapQuest. I had just never been in some of those areas before.

iTunes playlist on the way up: Audioslave's Out of Exile and Revelations. Them Crooked Vultures self-titled album. First half of R.E.M. greatest hits.

The first thing I noticed once I got to Morgantown was how big the building for the Daily Athenaeum was. I'm very envious of a school that actually cares about its journalism program. I wish I had that support during my time as Editor-in-Chief of Concord's newspaper. It always sucked to literally see my building fall apart while so much technology and money was crammed elsewhere on campus.

But, I digress. This isn't a Concord rant.

I had a really cool time in Morgantown. I got a tour of the Daily Athenaeum building. Ate at a Red Lobster for the first time. Saw "Despicable Me." It was a very interesting trip and I'm glad I made it.

I made the trip on a Wednesday and left Thursday morning. Getting up that early to drive back home kind of sucked, but I had to work Thursday afternoon, so I had to. I'm very thankful that Candace opened her apartment up to me and let me sleep in her living room. Otherwise, I likely would have been stranded in Morgantown.

The drive back was a lot easier, as I recognized a lot of the area I was traveling through. I made it home at about 2:30 and got to work at 3:30. So, there wasn't too much of a disruption in my work schedule, which is always good.

iTunes playlist on the way back: Rest of R.E.M. greatest hits album. Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication and By the Way albums. Then my iPod died and I had to listen to the radio.

I might be making some more trips to Morgantown in the future. If I do, I'll update you on it. I'd like to see how many trips it takes until I don't have to use my MapQuest directions. I'm going to say by my 4th trip I won't need them. Well, let's see if I make it there that many times.

4 comments:

  1. Making some more visits in the future, eh? Red Lobster dinners? I can see the writing on the wall. Or rather, I know what the scoop is! Chick chick a bow wow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the best blog post ever. =]

    Also, good job spelling the paper's name right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    You might be on to something there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, that's why I get paid the big bucks, you know.

    ReplyDelete