Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18; interesting day

June 18, 2010.

Today has been an interesting day. It's been an interesting summer so far, but that's another series of stories for another day.

For those people who weren't alerted by Facebook, today is my best friend's birthday. Best friend in this case being Kelly Goodrich. Speaking of Facebook, I got home from work shortly after midnight on Thursday, so it was technically June 18. Since I live with Kelly, I went to her room and wished her a happy birthday. I then pulled out my phone to see that Facebook had sent me a reminder that it was her birthday.

This September will mark 9 years that I have known Kelly. Isn't that crazy?

The remake of the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie earlier this year got myself and Kelly talking about the original series. She is a big fan, while I haven't seen any of them. I was an awkward kid, prone to nightmares, so I didn't watch many scary movies. But, now, I've started realizing that I enjoy the horror genre.

So, her birthday present was also a gift for me - a box set of the first 8 "Elm Street" movies. From the original, all the way to 2003's "Freddy vs Jason." She's excited for the nostalgia; I'm excited to see them for the first time.

We have this weird tradition of buying each other a CD for our birthdays. We did that when we were younger, and it's stuck. So, I got her the Them Crooked Vultures disk. They're a pretty cool band, a "super group," consisting of Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin). Click here to read a review by Joe Carowick, from a Dec. 2009 issue of The Concordian, Concord's student newspaper.

* * *

To celebrate her birthday (or, just because we were hungry...), we headed out to Taco Bell. While there, we ran into Lindsey Mullins, former Advisor to The Concordian. She's not coming back to Concord in the fall. She's the second Communication Arts professor not coming back. Will I be here to see what my department at Concord looks like in the fall? It depends on how my summer goes, which I'll blog about soon.

Anyway, I think this was the first time I had seen her since December. We'd talked on Facebook a few times in the spring, but I'm pretty sure this was the first face-to-face meeting we'd had since I handed her a hastily-thrown-together "portfolio" of what I wrote that semester on the newspaper staff. It was for a grade, some sort of final project thing. I should have sent her a link to this blog instead, would have been a lot less clutter.

This may seem weird, but the first thing I noticed was that I'm taller than her. Most of our time together was spent in either her office or the newspaper office, and I guess we were always sitting down or something. I never noticed that over the last 2 1/2 years, and it caught me off guard for a second. The list of people I'm taller than is very short. See what I did there?

She seemed optimistic about her future, which was cool. I hope she lands on her feet, as she has a lot to offer as a teacher. It was honestly a little bit of a rough start for her, but I saw her progress over the last 3 school years into a pretty good college professor.

We've had a somewhat rocky relationship over those last 3 years. I genuinely like her, and I'm confident she would say the same about me. We've just had differing opinions about how to run a college newspaper.

If everybody agrees with each other, that's a problem. One of the good things about Mullins and myself is that we weren't afraid to disagree with each other and question the other. It helped promote creativity and got different viewpoints out there. That's not to say it always worked well...

A good example of that would be back when I was Editor-in-Chief of the paper and she would call me up and ask me why I did something, either with page design or something I wrote. I would explain why and we both got a new viewpoint out of it.

A bad example was one time in early 2008 when communication broke down and we just started arguing in the middle of a staff meeting. She thought a certain story was important and I didn't. It went something like this - "Let's write about this." "That's not important, we don't need to do that." "Yes, it is." "No, it's not." "We're going to do it." "No, we're not." That went on for about 45 seconds, in a room full of about 12 people.

That's one thing that I think has been missing from the newspaper staff for the last 2 years. No, not the dumb arguments, the contrasting opinions.

* * *

Kelly and I got home from Taco Bell and as we were walking to our apartment, we ran into an old lady that we hadn't seen for several months. She's had a lot of health problems and had been in-and-out of the hospital several times since we moved in there. The health problems were still there, as she basically asked us to keep an eye on her.

We hung out in the apartment for a little bit, and then it was time for Kelly to go to work. Yeah, I know, work on her birthday. But, she has to make a living somehow...

I was blocking her car in, so I had to go down with her and move my car. As we're walking through our garage, we see that old lady wandering around. I go to my car and Kelly talks to her for a second. The two of them then come out and Kelly asks me if I can call an ambulance. She couldn't remember where she lived and was at least cognitive enough to realize that was a problem.

I called 911 and waited with her while Kelly went to work. We were waiting outside, when she suddenly remembered where her apartment was and wanted to go there. I was telling her that we should wait outside, as that's where the ambulance was going to be, when I heard a fire truck pull up to the front of the apartment. She went off to her apartment while I went to the fire truck. I showed them where she was and went back to my car, only to see an ambulance waiting there. The ambulance was waiting where I told them we would be, while the fire truck went to the opposite side of the apartment complex. I got the ambulance pointed to where she was and they went about their business.

I don't know what happened after that, as I left. As we were waiting for the ambulance, she kept saying to me that she didn't understand what was going on, but then at one point said that she thought she might be having a stroke.

I guess I'll find out what's going on in the next day or two. If anybody's interested, I'll post an update.

* * *

But, yeah, it's been an interesting June 18.

As a warning, I import my blogs into Facebook and just tag random people sometimes. So, if that's why you're reading this, that's why - nothing special, just random.

8 comments:

  1. That is a pretty random day. My random comments on it:

    - I'm moving in soon with my good friend Becca. We've known each other for... more than 12 years now. ack. It's weird to think about it in that context. (Complicating factors: She is really attractive, and we're both single, so I'm wondering if it will have an effect on dating.)

    - Your faculty adviser actually sat in on weekly meetings? I ran my college paper too, and the adviser was strictly there for board meetings, along with the head of the Memorial Union, the business manager and the two managing editors of the paper. She and I would have chats about the paper, but never screaming matches about the content, nevermind in front of other people. At URI, the paper was seen solely as a student-run publication, funded by a student activities fee, and thus completely free of department oversight essentially.

    - Combining points 1 and 2... Put in a good word for me with Lindsey Mullins, bro. Help a brother out.

    - That business with the old lady sounds... odd. I've never really known my neighbors at apartments and houses all that well, with the exception being my childhood home. Now I see my old neighbor's name pop up all the time for drug possession in the police and court logs, which is an odd experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Your faculty adviser actually sat in on weekly meetings?"

    Thank you so much for that sentence. Hopefully hearing it from somebody besides me will convince people it's a good idea. The first Advisor I ever had on the newspaper staff, back when I was a freshman in 2004, never attended the meetings and just kept up through the Editor-in-Chief. The paper ran so much more smoothly.

    If the Advisor's there, you really don't need an Editor-in-Chief. Who's really in charge? I think that's partly what led to the argument. It wasn't quite a shouting match, but I'm sure it was pretty awkward for the people there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To throw another comment out there on your comment, living with a girl you don't date can be kind of awkward. Especially if you did date her at one point...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her and I never dated, and we don't have a ton of chemistry in terms of that area, so I don't think that will be a problem. She tends to go for dudes with muscles or dudes in uniforms or dudes who are anti-social, of which I am not.

    Yeah, having the adviser there sounds like it would lead to horrible conflicts and people whining to her about your management. With a college paper, which is always full of people dating one another and personality conflicts to begin with, you don't need the added confusion of having no clear chain of command.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tagged me because you know I love reading what you wrote! That's why. I believe there's reasons for it!!
    Anyway, my day wasn't nearly as entertaining as yours was!
    I just worked all night, and worried about whether I was going to have the money to pay my rent....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara,

    It started out random. You type a letter into Facebook and names come up. I put in "K" and saw your name. I was like, "Oooh, there's Kara. She likes what I read." It started out random & then got a little bit more specific lol

    But, yeah, your June 18 doesn't sound very good. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My June 18th was drunkenly spent at a hotel in Marina del Rey, Los Angeles, CA at a convention called "BootyCon 2010" surrounded by a bunch of awesome nerds and hot chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you may have had a little bit more fun than me...

    ReplyDelete