Saturday, June 5, 2010

It's almost summer.

It's almost summer. It's finally starting to feel like it. Before, I kept seeing the nice weather and wondering how long it was going to last. Now, it's finally sinking in that the sun is going to shine for a while. I'm not complaining.

I'm in a weird mood. I've been like this for a while now. I'm not sure how to describe it. I think I'm frustrated. Frustrated with myself for the failures that I've had in my life. I feel as though I'm not where I should be at this stage in my life and it's all because I've been lazy and complacent.

It's been bothering me lately. I haven't had a proper way to vent and it's been building up. It's just kind of made me angry all the time. I think I've done a good job of not showing it, well, for the most part. Kelly has been telling me lately that I've been moody and snapping at her a lot.

I'm not proud of that. I don't like that the only place I can show how angry I am is when I'm around the only person I don't want to be angry around.

I'm trying to make some positive changes in my life. I've been looking for a job. A real job. A career job.

I applied for a position with the Bluefield Daily Telegraph about a month ago, but I didn't get it. A couple days ago, I put in an application with my old hometown newspaper, The Jackson Herald. There was an open position for a sports writer, so I figured why not?

I haven't really thought through the ramifications of if I get the job or not. Ripley, where the Herald operates out of, is two hours away from here. I'm not really holding out hope that I get the job. I'm just kind of seeing what happens.

4 comments:

  1. The industry is ridiculously tough right now, yeah. I'm in a decent situation in Rhode Island, but I'm still not making enough to, say, support a family on, and I still have multiple side jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pay for the position I applied for isn't great, but it's okay for what it is. It's definitely a lot more than a full-time manager at Pizza Hut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, really? I know at one point, I worked at Dunkin' Donuts over doing another journalism internship, because DD paid better ($7.50ish plus tips vs. $8 and no tips at the paper and far less hours at the paper). At the time, a DD manager made about $30k to $40k, which is significantly better than most entry level reporting gigs ($20k to $30k).

    ReplyDelete
  4. With Pizza Hut, a tenured General Manager can pull in that neighborhood, with the salary and bonuses. Factoring in tips, on a good night the servers and delivery drivers make more $$$ than I do.

    At this stage in my life, I don't have a lot of expenses and am actually doing a decent job of keeping money in the bank. But, if I had some kids or credit card debt or whatever, I couldn't imagine making ends meet as a manager at Pizza Hut. It's kind of sad seeing some of the people there who are in those situations and can only work someplace like Pizza Hut because they dropped out of high school or whatever.

    ReplyDelete