Thursday, May 20, 2010

45 - "Heart-Shaped Box," Nirvana



Nirvana is a band that took me a while to start getting into. I was too young to appreciate them during their original run - I was about 5 when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came out, and about 9 when Kurt Cobain died. As I got a little older, in my early teens or so, I had some friends who really liked Nirvana. I wasn't a huge fan. I didn't hear a lot that I liked. There was one notable exception, though - "Heart-Shaped Box."

It just doesn't sound like a lot of other Nirvana songs, and I think that's what drew me in. It stands out so much. The chorus of "Hey! Wait! I've got a new complaint!" catches your attention. The drums in this song are also very intense.

I finally became a Nirvana fan during my junior year of high school. The previously-unreleased track "You Know You're Right" hit the radio and I liked that, which coincided with the Nirvana Greatest Hits album coming out. I picked up the album and realized what I was missing out on.

After that, I tracked down the albums and found out that I really enjoyed a lot of Nirvana's music. So, this is the first of a few songs from the original "grunge" band on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment