Wednesday, May 26, 2010

42 - "Rockin' in the Free World," Neil Young



"Rockin' in the Free World," is just such a kick-ass song. The guitars, the distortion, everything about this song is cool. Plus, the imagery; what Young is singing about is so amazing. His lyrics are a critique of George H.W. Bush's America, but most of the words still ring true today. The song revived his career in the late '80s after several years out of the mainstream.

It really helped demonstrate that Neil Young is one of the greatest artists of all time. He can do slow, sappy acoustic songs. He can play piano-heavy ballads. And, he can rock out with his cock out (metaphorically speaking, of course).

For this entry, I'm also including a bonus video - his 1993 performance with Pearl Jam at the MTV Video Music Awards. It's probably one of the coolest live performances of any song that I have ever seen. I feel bad that I was only 7 years old when it came out, because I had to wait until I was older to appreciate it.

1 comment: