Sunday, March 28, 2010

Kelsey Queen Q&A

Interview with Kelsey Queen, candidate for SGA Attorney General. Her opponents are Chris Matheny and Stephen Pavey.

Note: Interviews with Kelsey Queen, Adam Pauley, Grace Hurney,  and Spencer Stevens were conducted at the same time. Part of Matt Belcher's interview was also conducted at this time.

* * *

Chris Slater: What’s your SGA experience?

Kelsey Queen: I was the Alpha Sigma Alpha organizational rep in the spring of 2009, the Phi Alpha Delta rep in fall 2009, and also served on the Budgetary committee and Homecoming committee.

CS: What attracted you to the SGA?

KQ: I am a political science major, and a pre-law minor, so my career goals were really governmental oriented, so I just really like to be a part of different organizations like that. That’s what I’m gonna be when I grow up.

CS: Why did you decide to run for your position?

KQ: I’m running for Attorney General because of my experience with different prosecution styles in mock trial and I believe that an organization has to be run by different rules, but at the same time you can’t use a cookie-cutter style that just gives the same punishment for each student, as situations do change. I think that the courts should be run as more of an education and rehabilitation process, instead of just always giving same students the same punishments and just kicking them to the curb. I would like to run for things like that because I believe in rules, but at the same time have compassion for students

CS: What will you do if you’re not elected? Have you made those plans yet?

KQ: If I don’t get elected, I plan on continually being involved with SGA, as well as offering my opinions to the, [winner,] either [Chris] Matheny or [Stephen] Pavey, either one. I’ll still offer my opinion, because I feel that I bring something different to the table. Different opinions are nice.

CS: What are your thoughts on your opponents campaigns?

KQ: Like Spencer, I agree that me and my opponents have a lot of the same platform ideas, but at the same time, I believe that both of them are already set in their ways about how the SGA is run, where I’m kind of newer to the whole Executive Board. I have experience in SGA, but I’m open to the ideas of the students, not just the way that SGA has been run in the past. So, I think that that's what sets me aside from everyone else. I am open to student ideas instead of just "the previous person did this, and that's how it should be done."

CS: What are some areas the SGA is doing well in, and what do you think they can improve?

KQ: Just like Spencer and Adam, I do see a lot of cattiness and - almost - immaturity between the members of SGA and from somebody who isn’t already on the Executive Board, looking at the different conversations they have, it seems like they’re more concerned with proving to them or their opponents or someone else that they can do better, rather than listening to the students and proving to the students that they’re going to accomplish something for them. I do think SGA is doing a good thing listening, as far as Housing rules go. Getting extended hours for students, because I know next semester, we’re going to have 24-hour visitation on Thursdays and that’s something a lot of students wanted. But, I also think that we should begin to push for different things with Housing, for different things as far as it’s completely ridiculous that a 21-year-old can get in trouble for drinking in their room if their roommate isn’t 21. I think that we should continue to push for students rights, because if you are 21, you are legally permitted to drink, so I don’t think that just because your roommate isn’t that you should be allowed to. So, I think we should continue to push for the policies that the students really want, instead of fighting amongst each other.

CS: Is there anything you'd like to add?

KQ: I would like to say that a lot of people underestimate my abilities to actually get things done. I feel like a lot of people who may not know me, who haven’t been around me, who don’t know my GPA and my accomplishments in the government, in different organizations, would probably underestimate my abilities. And, I just would like for everyone to realize that I am very qualified for this position and I have experience in all realms that is needed for the Attorney General position. What does set me aside is the fact that I am not set in my ways. I am willing to listen to the students and do what is best for the majority of the students, not what is best for me.

* * *

For more information, check out the Facebook group, "Vote Kelsey Jo Queen for SGA Attorney General."

9 comments:

  1. Good luck Kels...Remember, "A woman's place is in the house...the senate...and the oval office." Let this be your spring board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest thing Kelsey has to overcome is issues of image, as the following comments have proven. The best thing to remember is the last comment Kelsey left:

    "I would like to say that a lot of people underestimate my abilities to actually get things done. I feel like a lot of people who may not know me, who haven’t been around me, who don’t know my GPA and my accomplishments in the government, in different organizations, would probably underestimate my abilities. And, I just would like for everyone to realize that I am very qualified for this position and I have experience in all realms that is needed for the Attorney General position."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, while were speaking our minds "anonymously," I find Kelsey Queen very refreshing and she has my full support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the debate...GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the current Attorney General I would just to publicly restate my belief that Kelsey is an intelligent, energetic, and approachable young lady who is very well suited to be the Attorney General, and she has my full support.

    ReplyDelete