Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"Ain't No Grave"

Johnny Cash's final posthumous album, American VI: Ain't No Grave, was released in late February. This is the second album released after Cash's 2003 death.

I initially got into Johnny Cash during my sopomore year of college. I found a "greatest hits" cd at my grandpa's house one day & started listening to it. I may or may not have stolen it from my grandpa. I've blogged about that cd a couple times in the past - in the "classic rock blog" I talk about my grandpa's love of Johnny Cash. I also mentioned this disk in a blog I wrote looking at some of my Concordian articles that never saw print, as I wrote a review of the cd that wasn't printed.

Cash's "American" recordings were part of his career resurgence in the 1990's, as he went from big country star in the '60s & '70s to dropped from his record label and having no career in the '80s. Rick Rubin signed him to his then-fledgling record label in the early '90s and the rest is history.

The 2000's (or "Aughts" as some call them) saw Cash transition into an "old" singer, a man singing about mortality. You could hear it in his voice; his time was drawing near and he knew it. His song choices for his last albums definitely showed that.

His last single ever is haunting in that regard, as he sings about how even death can't hold him down. And, that's true. Johnny Cash is one of the greatest singers of the 20th century, and has remained relevant into the first and second decades of the 21st century.

Cash's final single is embedded below:


"Ain't No Grave," Johnny Cash (2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment