Monday, January 18, 2010

Ramblings of an Insomniac...

Who: Chris Slater

When: 6 a.m.

Where: Not in bed

UGH.

Not being able to sleep is one of the worst feelings in the world. This is something that has troubled me for at least 6 years. It's hard for me to manage my sleep cycle and - do what normal people do - go to bed at night and wake up in the morning. I've seen doctors for it. I've taken prescribed and over-the-counter medications for it. Those work, to a certain degree.

Ambien is probably one of the most popular sleep aids. I took that for a couple weeks in late January/early February 2006. It worked, in the sense that it put me to sleep. I remember the feeling after I took them and laid down in bed - I felt nothing. That's what I needed. I was so tired and focused on sleeping that my mind wasn't racing about a bunch of different things and I could actually sleep.

One of the biggest drawbacks with Ambien is that it has been proven to cause sleep walking. I don't know exactly what happened to me (since I was asleep...), but I do know I had some sort of issue with sleep walking. I would wake up in the morning to find Facebook comments I didn't remember leaving, e-mails I didn't remember sending, a blog I didn't remember writing, and one morning my glasses were bent in half.

I've experimented with a number of OTC sleep aids. The one I found that worked the best was made by the Tylenol company. It's called "Simply Sleep," and is basically "Tylenol PM" without the Tylenol. It wasn't as powerful as the Ambien, but I found that it helped me clear my head and fall asleep most nights.

The only drawback with "Simply Sleep" is that I took it for about a month straight and couldn't sleep without it. I felt weird taking a pill for so long. I don't know if you can get hooked on that particular sleeping pill, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I don't know. I definitely feel as though my sleeping issues is one of the biggest problems in my life. It's so hard to... I don't even know how to describe it... do things, I guess... without sleep. I failed so many classes because they were in the morning and I couldn't get up to go to them. A bad byproduct of staying up all night is that you tend to sleep all day. That's not very conducive to doing your best in school.

Or work. Remember at the begining of this blog when I mentioned that it was 6 a.m. and I couldn't sleep? That's two hours before I have to be at work. It's just Pizza Hut, but I like it. Somebody has to go unlock the door at 8 a.m. (even though Pizza Hut doesn't open until 11). Might as well be me.

I need to find a job where you work at night, instead of day. Maybe late-night McDonald's drive-thru. Or, I could kill myself. That sounds more fun. That was a joke.

Anyway... if you haven't checked out my blog in a while, take a look at the last couple entries:

OK Go is awesome

I'm a "Wrestling Dweeb"

Decisions...

Daughtry covers Lady Gaga

I've been told their entertaining. I don't know. I've also heard some rather harsh criticism. Make up your own mind.

There's a pretty cool Red Hot Chili Peppers song embedded into the "Decisions..." blog. Regarding the actual decision I talk about in that entry, I still have not made up my mind. Yeah, I realize I missed the first week of classes. I'm going to go on Tuesday to Concord and see if I can get the bare-minimum, 7 hours. If I can get two 3-hour classes and a 1-hour class, then I'll be a Concord student this semester. If not, then maybe in the fall.

Here's a couple more cool Red Hot Chili Peppers songs:


"Readymade," Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)


"She's Only 18," Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)

I've been on a Red Hot Chili Peppers "kick" the last couple weeks. That's usually how I listen to my music. I usually have the "shuffle" set for a while, then I listen to one song or hear something about an artist and get set on that artist for a while.

I've been listening to mostly RHCP since I read that their guitarist John Fruschante had left the band. I read that about two weeks ago. About 5 days ago, I got on my "Stadium Arcadium" kick, their last album. I'll be off it soon. Something else will pique my interest soon.

That's a good stopping point for now. I'll check back in later with something of substance. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment