Wednesday, December 16, 2009

D.C. council votes to allow same-sex marriages

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/15/dc.gay.marriage/index.html

As the link above shows, the Washington, D.C., council voted 11-2 to allow same-sex marriage. The bill now needs to be signed by the mayor - who has said he supports it - and then Congress has 30 days to intervene before it takes effect (most believe the Democratic-led Congress will not intervene). When this passes, D.C. will join Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, and Iowa in allowing same-sex marriage.

One thing that I've never understood with the same-sex marriage debate is the huge amount of opposition to it. I just can't comprehend why it is such a big problem for two men or two women to get married to each other.

I guess a lot of it has to do with religion. The majority of people against same-sex marriage are usually conservative, Republican types, and those types tend to be religious. The Bible states that marriage is between a man and a woman. These people base their lives around the Bible, so that puts them against same-sex marriage.

I found the following quote a week or so ago and I think it is very fitting:

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people." - Doris Egan


That makes so much sense. The idea of God and religion is just so hard to believe. I can't understand how people can base their life on something that has a huge chance of not being true.

Jesse Ventura said it best, and this is one of my all-time favorite quotes:

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers." - Jesse Ventura


It's mind-boggling how people turn to God when they need to make a decision or need a way to live their life.

Probably the worst aspect about most religious people is how they refuse to allow themselves to think that they may be wrong, to question what they believe.

In my English 203 class, we were reading the epic Gilgamesh. Our assignment was to write about anything from the epic that appealed to us. The first thing I noticed about that story was that it mirrored the story of Noah's Ark. There was a flood, a guy built a boat, put a bunch of animals and shit on it, and had a bird go out and get him a twig to signify the end of the flood. So, I wrote about how this demonstrated the possibility that God may not be real, that the Bible may be a work of fiction.

We did an activity where the professor took up our papers & passed them to random students in the class a couple times and they left comments on your paper. The comments I got, you could tell that I had threatned these peoples belief systems. You could tell that they were offended by the comments they left. It's weird.

Back to the subject at hand, there is nothing inherently "wrong" with same-sex marriage. The only reason there is any opposition to it is because the Bible tells you it's wrong. The only real thing I have to say about this issue is that it's stupid. It's just so stupid to not allow people to have certain rights just because of their sexual orientation.

I don't know. That's a few thoughts I felt like throwing out on the subject.

2 comments:

  1. I own and religiously watch Religulous. (lol) Thank the great pumpkin in the sky that someone else out there thinks the way I do besides my husband.
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. After posting this, I'm really glad to hear the mostly positive comments from several similar-minded people (mostly on Facebook).

    I'm glad there are people who have the same view on this subject as me.

    ReplyDelete