Friday, October 16, 2009

Bored & Sleepless...

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

Panic. Racing. Panic.

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

Panic. What do I do?

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

Wondering. Worrying.

I can't sleep.

Listless.

I can't sleep.

Wondering.

I can't sleep.

Questions.

I can't sleep.

More questions.

I can't sleep.

I can't sleep.

Tired.

I can't sleep.

Ugh.

* * *

I don't know what that stuff above is. I typed "I can't sleep" and then that stuff just came pouring out. It was one of those "stream-of-consciousness" deals.

But yeah, I can't sleep. This is unusual for me... well, it's not unusual for me, but I had been doing a lot better with my sleep issues lately.

Somehow, I got on the worst-possible sleep schedule. I don't know how it really started, but it happened sometime during my freshman year of college. For years, I had always gone to bed around midnight and woken up at 6 a.m. But, college did something to that. I started going to bed at 5 or 6 a.m. and waking up at 2 or 3 p.m. I remember weekends where I'd go to bed at 9 a.m. and wake up at 8 p.m. It's such a weird feeling to fall asleep when it's daytime and wake up when it's nighttime.

My second year of college, I got a prescription of Ambien to see if it would help me. It was really effective, in that it would instantly put me to sleep. But, it made me sleep walk. I'd wake up and find out that I left people Facebook comments or wrote a MySpace blog, just weird stuff like that. One time I woke up and my glasses were bent in half. I have no memory of doing any of that stuff. It was really weird, so I quit taking Ambien.

I've talked to a couple different doctors over the years about my sleep problems. I don't remember exactly what one diagnosed me with, but she used the word "manic" to describe it. She basically said something to the effect that my mind doesn't know to shut itself off when my body does. I get physically tired, but I don't get mentally tired.

My mind never stops thinking. I'm always thinking of something. Something I need to do. Something I'd like to write about. Somebody. Stuff. Whatever.

* * *

I never realized I was as into autobiographies as I am. I always enjoyed reading them, but I actually think they're my favorite genre of books. Murder mysteries are my second favorite.

I'm reading Anthony Kiedis' autobiography right now. He's the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's had a very interesting life. He started doing heroin when he was 14. That's not good.

I have two more autobiographies that I'm going to read soon. Dennis Rodman was always one of my favorite basketball players when I was a kid, so I'm interested in starting his book from the late '90s. I also have Walter Cronkite's book. For those who don't know, Cronkite was a famous journalist.

I don't think we're ever going to have another journalist like Cronkite. He's such a cultural figure, basically the "father of news," in a sense. That's mostly due to the fact that there are so many news sources available. Back then, he was the only guy doing news on television. At the most, there were two or three. When talking about history, people often use Croknite reporting on JFK's death & landing on the moon as examples. Now, whose report are you going to use? The guy on CNN, the guy on Fox News, the guy on MSNBC, etc...

I don't have it, but I'd really like to read Ted Kennedy's autobiography. He had completed it before his death, and it came out a couple weeks after his death. I read a blurb about it and it mentioned that he writes about how he has accepted the "lone gunman" theory in John F. Kennedy's death.

I don't even know who it's about, but there's this book at the bookstore in the mall that I'm really interested in reading, just because of the cover. It's of some baseball player. He looks really interesting and I'd like to know more about him.

One of the shoestores in the mall is selling the autobiography of the guy who owns the shoe store. Apparently he's like the "shoe czar" of America - he started like 5 or 6 different shoe stores or something. It's a "rags to riches" story. Looks interesting.

* * *

Homecoming Week is nearing its end at Concord University. I'm kind of confused about something. The theme is "Red Carpet Affair." The picture shows a red carpet, with silhouttes of photographers taking pictures. It looks like a fancy movie premiere.

If it looks like a fancy movie premiere, then why are all the organizations doing something related to music, instead of movies?

Did anybody see all of the Homecoming flyers advertising potential Kings & Queens? (Or is it fliers? I checked, and got differing answers. Both are acceptable forms of the word, but some said "Y" was preferred, and others said "I." So, I'm sticking with "Y.") As we all know, the big debate was whether to have 50 or 100 flyers. In the end, 50 won out. I can't imagine how cluttered the Student Center would look with 100 from each group. There's 6 "teams" running for King & Queen. With each team getting 50 flyers, that's 300 pieces of paper that I have to look at.

And there were people who wanted 600 pieces of paper! Madness!

But, as I mentioned in a previous blog, I'll have more thoughts on that issue soon.

I'm excited to see how the football team is going to do this Saturday. I won't be at the game, because I have to work, but Mike Stanton will probably send out a tweet of the final score, so I'll know what happens.

It's really exciting to have a football team to be proud of. This is the first time we've had one in all of my years at Concord. Every year, we knew the result of the Homecoming game - Concord would lose, we just weren't sure how badly. This year, we're not sure. They might win. I like that feeling.

If you haven't yet, check out the interviews I do with the football coach, Mike Kellar. I put those up in my blog here, and the stories written from the interviews are available each week in The Concordian. I think it's an interesting read.

* * *

That looks like enough for now. Maybe I'll try to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris -

    Haven't checked your blog for a while so I thought I'd browse by.

    If you're reading autobiographies, you can't miss out on Bob Dylan's "Chronicles, Vol. One". I think I wrote a review of it during the fall of last year. The guy is a natural born storyteller and it really shows. Not to mention he's been a pivotal figure in American culture so he's got a lot of insight into our culture. Incredible book.
    One that I wouldn't bother with is Eric Clapton's "Clapton". Yes, he's led an interesting life and has a large presence in rock history, but he can't write worth a damn. The whole book reads like a bullet list of events. You'd be better off reading an outline of its contents. It's more like a reference book for the life of a rock star - it even has an index.
    I used to take sleeping pills because I'm pretty much nocturnal myself. They have cheap generic ones at CVS. But I was never completely comfortable taking them because you do become somewhat dependent. And being in school doesn't help because class schedules and homework deadlines throughout the week aren't very consist and don't compliment each other well, so regular patterns are more difficult to keep. I'm doing a lot better with a steady work schedule and a little supplement I've got. I know you hate tea, but there's one out there called "Sleeptime Extra" made by Celestial Seasonings. Even if you hate tea, it's worth a try because it puts me right out and it's healthier, a lot cheaper, and not quite as dependence-inducing as sleeping pills. I just found it the other day and as soon as I sipped it I was like "Wow. That was quick." You should try it. Just load it up with honey or something if you can't stand the taste. Just a suggestion. Then you can print the recipe and discover the glory of it all.
    Do you ever sleep with music on? I sometimes find myself in bed thinking about all kinds of shit and then I get up to write them down, get a glass of water, and then I'm not going to sleep anymore. But it helps if I put on something calm or atmospheric to keep my mind distracted and to kinda sync the words in my head with the words of someone else. Of course I wouldn't recommend Rage Against the Machine or Public Enemy, but something like James Taylor or Sade. I have a little compilation of Beatles tunes that works well - "Blackbird", "Norweigen Wood", "Here Comes the Sun", and some other stuff like that. Also, Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" is a good sleepytime album. Just a few suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tea suggestion. I'm not a huge fan, but I may check it out.

    I remember that Dylan book review. It sounds interesting. The Keidis book was great - I finished it yesterday. There's an amazing amount of detail, and he doesn't sugar coat anything regarding his drug use & band drama.

    ReplyDelete