Friday, September 25, 2009

My Op/Ed piece from this week's Concordian

I'm not sure why, but the piece I wrote for the opinions piece in this week's issue of The Concordian has not been put on the website yet. It's in the actual print edition of the paper, but not online.

Since it's been this long, I doubt that it will go up anytime soon, so I'm going to go ahead and post it here.

I feel that it's something important that people need to hear about. Instead of a random rant about lawncare, I'm writing something important. I'm writing something personal that I feel all Concord students (especially the older ones) can relate to.

Regarding some other blogs I'll be writing - I should have the "SGA Blog" up later tonight or tomorrow. I'm also gathering some thoughts and will write something about the A&E Editor of The Concordian being dropped from the newspaper staff due to plagariasm allegations. May have that up over the weekend at the earliest, early next week at the latest. If you don't know what's up with that, click here.

My article is below. If you have any questions about it or would like to leave any comments, feel free to do so.

* * *

Be cool, stay in school

By Chris Slater
Senior Staff Writer

With age comes wisdom. Some call it maturity. Whatever it is, it gives you a new insight on things. If you’ll recall, a few weeks ago I wrote about my many mistakes I’ve made in college. That got me thinking about why it is important to stay in school.

When I was 18, I got a summer job. It was awesome – I worked at Pizza Hut! How cool was that? I made some extra cash and had some fun.

I did that for a few more summers, until recently.

Now, Pizza Hut isn’t my “spare-time, summer job.” Pizza Hut is now my job. It’s no longer something I do for fun. If I want to be able to drive a car, own a phone, or attend Concord, I have to work at Pizza Hut.

I hate it. Don’t get me wrong – I love the people I work with, but I hate the actual act of what I do to earn a paycheck.

This has put things into perspective for me. If I quit school or didn’t graduate for some reason, that’s what I would be doing for the rest of my life.

That’s depressing. I don’t even want to think about that.

What’s even more depressing is seeing some of my friends who have that depressing future. They weren’t given the opportunity to attend college like I was, so their punishment is a lifetime of minimum-wage Hell.

One thing to remember is that being in college is a privelege, not a right. I know so many bright, smart people who don’t have a future ahead of them just because they couldn’t afford college.

Realizing what my future would be without college has inspired me to try harder. Wasting several years of school and almost throwing everything away is one of my biggest regrets right now.

Why did I do it? Because I didn’t want to wake up for a 9 a.m. class? Because I didn’t like my professor and didn’t want to see him? I was stupid.

Don’t be like me. Don’t waste your time in school.

As much as I like my friends who can’t attend school, I don’t want to wind up like them. That may be a selfish attitude to have, but I think it’s the right one.

Don’t waste this great opportunity you have right in front of you. You may never get another chance. You may not have the maturity or wisdom to realize the opportunity you blew.

If you do blow this opportunity, maybe you’ll finally realize it when you’re 40-years-old, working in the fast-food industry, with no career or future ahead of you. Scary, isn’t it?

Nostalgia is really big now. Let’s bring back that old line from back in the day – “Be Cool. Stay in school.”

That’s my new motto. Is it yours?

- 30 -

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I have informed Wendy Holdren that your article wasn't placed online. I will also ask Svilen why it wasn't posted online. I am almost certain this was unintentional.

    I am sure Rachel was equally passionate about her article.

    Let's remember to try and work as a team.

    Ms. Mullins

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few stories that aren't up on the site. The "Sports Corner" column is also not online. I don't know if it's just those two.

    ReplyDelete