Wednesday, May 6, 2009

SGA report, 5/6/09 - New SGA President sworn in

As I walked to the Rahall Center for the SGA meeting this week, I was stopped by Ashley Hicks who said she was warning me - "You're going to write bad things about me in your blog after today." So, here it is - BAD THINGS ABOUT ASHLEY HICKS.

I'll elaborate on what she meant later.

This was the last meeting of the Student Government Association for the 2008-2009 academic year. It was held in the newest building on Concord's campus, the Rahall Center - named after our congressman - instead of in the State Room, where it's usually held. Typically, I take a notebook and take notes on what happened. I've done that for five years - four while reporting for The Concordian and one for my blog. This time, I just took my phone and "Twittered." Bill Lewis also had his phone and "Twittered" a little bit. I'll post mine and Bill's Tweets below and expand upon them afterwards. Bill's have his name in front of them in parentheses.

From http://twitter.com/chris_slater & http://twitter.com/lewisb01 -

On my way to final SGA meeting. Not taking notes - will send out tweets during meeting.
about 8 hours ago from txt


Rahall 103 is not the best place for an SGA meeting. Not enough seats. Poor setup.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Cake here. It said ''Good Luck Jeff.'' wonder if jeff saw that b4 people ate it.
about 7 hours ago from txt

(Bill) Bout to start my last sga meeting as a non exec...in the most ridiculous meeting room ever
about 8 hours ago from txt

Myself and @lewisb01 are twittering during the meeting. Somebody tell @biff359 to also twitter.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Out of plates. I'm eating cake on a napkin. Nice.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Apparentally there has been an altercation between curtis kearns & campus police over a parking issue. More details as i get them.
about 7 hours ago from txt

SGA secretary actually showed up. Wow. Must be the cake.
about 7 hours ago from txt

@lewisb01 is the only 1 giving any reports. I'm glad somebody is still doing something.
about 7 hours ago from txt

I gave the ombudsman a complaint a week ago. She didn't mention it in her report.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Jeff yeager just got sworn in. New SGA president.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Jeff is swearing in the new officers.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Ashley hicks & carissa dengler are questioning eric lopez' appointment as faculty senate rep.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Hicks applied for the job & was in the hospital & unable to get an interview.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Ashley seemed bitter about it. Appointment for lopez passed.
about 7 hours ago from txt


(Bill) I don't think i've ever seen jeff nervous before, but its good to see him at the front of the room
about 7 hours ago from txt

@lewisb01 I second that.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Wes is giving out awards. He never said what for, though. Guess they're generic ''good job'' awards.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Kearns made it back to the meeting. Said he was ''doing something else.''
about 7 hours ago from txt

Jack grose scholarship award for leadership went to karina rahall & ashley green.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Bill skeet award went to russell christian & matt belcher.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Scholarship award was just named after john david smith. First recipient is ashley hicks.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Marshall campbell just said that we may get upgraded televisions next academic year.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Discussing senior gift ideas. SGA has $10,000 to spend.
about 7 hours ago from txt

Ashley hicks made motion to give $3000 to outfit gazebo, and $7000 for a future project fund.
about 7 hours ago from txt

After discussion & clarification- motion passed. We have a senior gift.
about 6 hours ago from txt

So, to clarify things a little bit:

Rahall 103 is not a good room to have a large meeting like this in. There weren't enough tables and it was kind of cramped. Maybe a regular meeting would be okay in there, but since this was the last one, a lot more people showed up. Yes, even the Secretary showed up. I know, I was shocked too.

I still don't know if Jeff saw the "Good Luck Jeff" cake. By the time he got in the room, a "Jeff" was gone and most of "Luck" was gone. So, Jeff saw a "Good Lu" cake. I had a slice, it was yummy. And, as I noted, they ran out of plates. So, I ate it on a napkin.

About the altercation between Curtis and the police, I found out some more information - it was just a situation blown way out of proportion. Curtis isn't in any trouble or anything.

The Secretary thing was what Ashley was referring to when she said I was going to write bad things about her. I'll give the facts, as I understand them. If any of them are incorrect, please let me know:

Four people applied for Secretary. One of them was Ashley. When Jeff was going to conduct interviews for the position, Ashley was in the hospital. So, interviews were held without her. Eric Lopez (a freshman organizational representative) was selected for the position.

When discussion of approving Eric for this position began, Ashley stood up and questioned whether or not it was right to give this position to Eric without giving her the chance to be interviewed. She was seconded in this by Carissa Dengler.

A couple people spoke in defense of Eric and the Senate decided to approve the nomination. Eric Lopez is the new SGA Secretary. I like that idea. As I've mentioned a couple times before, I think Ashley can better serve the SGA in a position with voting rights where she can advocate for the students.

The SGA Executive Branch is now:

President, Wes Prince; Vice President, Akeya Carter-Bozman; Business Manager, Matt Belcher; Ombudsman, Brittany Keys; Parliamentarian, Gavin Ward; Secretary, Eric Lopez; Attorney General Bill Lewis.

Good group on paper. Gavin Ward is relatively untested in the SGA so far. Parliamentarian basically means he makes sure the SGA follows the rules of running the meeting. As long as he understands the SGA Constitution and "Robert's Rules of Order," then he'll be okay. Will Hicks did a great job as Parliamentarian this year.

In other positions, Jeff appointed Ashley Green as Faculty Senate representative; and Russell Christian, John Dunn, and Jennifer Smith Senators.

* * *

I'll leave with a couple notes, and a question:

I attended the dedication ceremony for the 2005 SGA Senior gift - the gazebo outside the Student Center. It was a short, interesting event. The highlight was the return of former Concord President Dr. Jerry Beasley. I hadn't seen him in almost a year, so that was cool. The SGA Senior gift is to put some picnic tables in the gazebo, as right now there's nothing to do in it. You can stand in the gazebo and that's it.

Check out this week's issue of The Concordian. Their list of graduating seniors looks pretty interesting. Sports Editor Mike Stanton told me he wrote an opinions piece for the paper but it wasn't printed. He said he'd post it online. Mike, if you want to post the link to it here, feel free to do so. I'm guessing he's putting it up in his MySpace blog.

Earlier this semester, it was announced that Concord would have a hardcopy yearbook for the first time in several years. I wondered how they would be able to create a yearbook in such a short time, since I was on my high school's yearbook staff & know how they're made. The only thing I had heard announced for the yearbook was that they requested pictures of each organization on campus. What's the yearbook doing for individual pictures of students? Are they having them? I haven't heard anything about it and it doesn't look like there's enough time in the semester to organized photo shoots for the yearbook. I hope they're not using pictures from our ID cards. My picture was taken 5 years ago. I don't want that picture from 2004 to represent me in a yearbook from 2009. The only reason I don't get the picture updated is that it costs $15 to get a new card made.

So, what's up with the yearbook? Can anybody answer that for me? As "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh famously says, "You can remain anonymous."

* * *

As I mentioned in the last blog, I import these into Facebook. With that feature, you can tag people in notes. I tag people for two reasons - if I mention you by name, or if I think you'll find this interesting I'll tag you. If I tag you & you don't want to be tagged, let me know. If you'd like to be tagged in the future, let me know.

Wes Prince didn't accept my friend request on Facebook, so I can't tag him in notes. I'm okay with that - we're not really friends. I only added him to tag him in notes. So, somebody do me a favor and let him know that I posted a new blog.

Again, questions, comments, and anything else can be left in the comment section. If you leave a comment on the Facebook page, I'll copy & paste it and put it here on Blogger. Try to leave your comments on here if you can. It makes things more uniform. But, if you're Marshall Campbell, you can comment wherever you want & I won't mind lol.

11 comments:

  1. Some people think to highly of themselves. I do not see anything derogatory on here, but I do believe Jeff is already making great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marshall CampbellMay 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM

    Hi, Chris -- Ok, ok... I'll post my comments here instead of Facebook. First, I'll address the meeting being in Rahall 103. The Education Department booked a dinner in the State Room and my office goofed and thought the last SGA meeting was last week. The Ballroom wasn't available due to another meeting in there that ended just after 4. Given the catering and the fact that Education's dinner was somewhat formal, I stuck a deal with Kathy Liptak that she could have the State Room, but that Education would move its meeting before its dinner from Rahal 103 to A320 (The McNair Room). Rahal 103 is larger, has more seats and serves better for a meeting room than A320. I figured that we'd be okay since (1) the general faculty meetings occur in Rahal 103 and (2) the recent SGA attendance has been down a bit. Surprise! In all though, it was our best alternative with the State Room and the Ballroom unavailable.

    As for the Yearbook, it is my understanding that they are using ID pictures because of the speed at which they are putting it together this year. Note, however, that an email went out last week that Seniors could come by our office last Friday and get their ID pictures re-taken for free so that those could be provided to the Yearbook staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marshall CampbellMay 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM

    Clearly I need to learn how to correctly type Rahall when I'm typing quickly. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry. I'm a bad twitter-er.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mental note -

    Find out if I can get a new picture for the yearbook. My ID picture is HORRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean,

    It's okay. Maybe being a bad twitter-er is a good thing - at least you haven't let Twitter consume your life like I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at that SGA meeting. I thought the whole drama queen thing was childish. I voted for Jeff and I am proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. About the "drama queen" thing:

    I think Ashley may have had a good point - she didn't get an interview, while everbody else did. But, I don't think complaining about her lack of an interview under the veil of discussing Eric's appointment was the right way to go. As I mentioned in my Tweet, she came across sounding bitter.

    Not to take anything away from her - she is a great SGA representative for the students. When she's upset about something, she doesn't come across effectively ... as I've pointed out a couple times in my old blog (that mysteriously disappeared somehow...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you mean to say that the new President is Jeff Yeager, not Wes Prince?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you are correct. I messed up on that. It's like in the beginning of January, when you still write the last year down for a couple weeks - I'm going through that w/ the SGA President.

    I've done that a couple times speaking too. I'll say, "Yeah, it's like what Wes said..." and I'll get interrupted with, "You mean Jeff, right?"

    ReplyDelete